Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's going on today? Nov 2

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 8:33 AM
  • 8 Replies
I'm going to do laundry! I'm out of clothes. Haha I also need to go to the chiro, my dd has a bad cough. Dishes are piled up, I need to run the full dishwasher also. And of course school!
Let's hope I can do at least one of these and the nausea cooperates!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:49 AM

cleaning house

dh ready for work

feed the animal(whos sitting on the back of the couch tring to eat birds as they fly by!

make some apple butter

schooling,

going to a homeschool book store w/ a friend

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I need to get groceries but we have a cold frontcoming in right now & it is kicking up a dust storm ( driving in a dust storm is like driving in a white out snow storm except you can't have the heater or a/c fan in the car on because it will suck that really fine dirt into the car & you will get sand blasted) so I might just stay home & make due with what I have here until tomorrow.

oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM

yu;k that would be hard to breathe! there must be lots of flat land there? never been to texas!

Quoting usmom3:

I need to get groceries but we have a cold frontcoming in right now & it is kicking up a dust storm ( driving in a dust storm is like driving in a white out snow storm except you can't have the heater or a/c fan in the car on because it will suck that really fine dirt into the car & you will get sand blasted) so I might just stay home & make due with what I have here until tomorrow.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Depending on where you are in Texas depends on the land type. There is a lot of flat land in Lubbock (this is where they grow the cotton & have a lot of the oil derricks)! If you have ever studied the time of the Dust Bowl you know that this is the part of Texas that was in it & we have had a terrible drought for the past year so it is kind of like during the Dust Bowl again. A few weeks ago we had a dust storm that was so big that it blocked out the sun in the middle of the day. The dust wall was 8,000 feet tall & wider then the city of Lubbock, the middle of it went right over my house!

Quoting oredeb:

yu;k that would be hard to breathe! there must be lots of flat land there? never been to texas!

Quoting usmom3:

swim-mom72
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Depending on where you are in Texas depends on the land type. There is a lot of flat land in Lubbock (this is where they grow the cotton & have a lot of the oil derricks)! If you have ever studied the time of the Dust Bowl you know that this is the part of Texas that was in it & we have had a terrible drought for the past year so it is kind of like during the Dust Bowl again. A few weeks ago we had a dust storm that was so big that it blocked out the sun in the middle of the day. The dust wall was 8,000 feet tall & wider then the city of Lubbock, the middle of it went right over my house!

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting usmom3:

Oh yes! I am very familiar with dust the dust storms of west Texas. We have lived in Midland 2 different times. Both of my boys were born there : ) It is crazy when you cannot see your neighbors house because of the dust, or when they cancel school because of the dust storms! LOL

oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM

wow usmom! so you have to stay inside till it passes? is it dust or sand like stuff? 8000 ft!!! wow! how do your plants do? gardens?

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:56 PM

It would be a good idea to stay in side until it passes unless you want sand blasted! It is dirt that is being blown around because way back before the dust bowl the settlers here dug up all the native grass that kept the dirt in place so they could plant crops. Well it is so flat here that the wind gets going with nothing to slow it down & anything that is lite gets moved around by it. If it hadn't been so dry there wouldn't be so much dirt in the air, but with a year long drought that is a lot of dry dirt just waiting to get picked up & blown around. I don't have a garden but the cotton field next to my land had a lot of its cotton damaged by the wind & the dirt gets in it & makes the quality less.

There is even a name for it a dirt/sand storm like that is called a Haboob so if you Google "the Great Haboob of Lubbock" you should find an article or 2 on it

Quoting oredeb:

wow usmom! so you have to stay inside till it passes? is it dust or sand like stuff? 8000 ft!!! wow! how do your plants do? gardens?

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting usmom3:

Oh yes! I am very familiar with dust the dust storms of west Texas. We have lived in Midland 2 different times. Both of my boys were born there : ) It is crazy when you cannot see your neighbors house because of the dust, or when they cancel school because of the dust storms! LOL

That big one we had I couldn't see off my porch it was so thick, the news said that in the thick of it there was zero visibility.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)