Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling & work/business/income

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM
  • 28 Replies
Do any of you also work or have a business or any means of income brought in by You & not DH/SO?

I'm a cosmetologist and beauty consultant so I'm very flexible with appointments but it's been slow. I've been trying to promote myself and my business at church, with current clients etc. They're helping spread the word so I'll see how the next couple months go. I'm hoping there's enough of a boost to keep consistency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Penmom4
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Hi MamisAngels. IThis is my first year homeschooling. My son is in the 5th grade. I work in our local grocery store, a small town store. I was working during the day, They put me on evenings after Sep. My hours have not gone down thank GOD.  My Husband works there also, and some times he dose jobs on the side. He just finished doing 2 retainer stone walls and a stone fire pit.  He also saved a local family $19,000.00, rebuilding thier stone foundation. The foundation fell after this last flooding we had.  We make enough to just get by paycheck to paycheck, I am always looking online for more athome opertunities.  I will keep you in my Prayers for your business.

GOD Bless!!!!!

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I would love to do something to bring in money but I have yet to find things that are legitimatethat I think I would like ( I don't where makeup so Mary Kay or Avon would not work for me & I don't believe in selling a product that you would never use)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Hi! I bring in a little through online things but just enough to buy diapers. I also use Swagbucks and just bought a brand new baby swing off of Amazon with them. 8) That's how I get a lot of things. It takes a lot of work and it's not going to pay a mortgage but it certainly helps.

I also coupon pretty seriously and concentrate more on making what money I do have stretch as far as possible. 8)

MamisAngels
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM
Quoting usmom3:

I would love to do something to bring in money but I have yet to find things that are legitimatethat I think I would like ( I don't where makeup so Mary Kay or Avon would not work for me & I don't believe in selling a product that you would never use)

I understand how you feel, it would be difficult to sell a product you don't use.
There's more than just makeup, though. There's also skin care, body care (scrubs, lotions, etc) & fragrance.
When I started I had people asking me to do their makeup for birthdays, specials occasions, etc. And I was only using the skin care. Being in the beauty industry already may have helped me a bit. Otherwise, I have found that technology has been beneficial. I have people request samples of the skin care and fragrance thru my personal website and they're from all around the country. Not everyone buys or starts their business but it's nice to build friendships and share beauty tips when asked.
A lot of business today is done through networking, whether in person or online, you make the connection first and go from there.

Do your research, eliminate the scams and things you wouldn't be comfortable doing, find what works best for you- something you could get excited about, and take a step in faith. It may take time but you'll find the perfect opportunity.

I wish you the best! :)
MamisAngels
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Penmom4:

Hi MamisAngels. IThis is my first year homeschooling. My son is in the 5th grade. I work in our local grocery store, a small town store. I was working during the day, They put me on evenings after Sep. My hours have not gone down thank GOD.  My Husband works there also, and some times he dose jobs on the side. He just finished doing 2 retainer stone walls and a stone fire pit.  He also saved a local family $19,000.00, rebuilding thier stone foundation. The foundation fell after this last flooding we had.  We make enough to just get by paycheck to paycheck, I am always looking online for more athome opertunities.  I will keep you in my Prayers for your business.

GOD Bless!!!!!

Thank you! :)
What kind of opportunities are you looking for? Sales, consulting, administrative?
I've seen things like virtual assistants that I hear pay hourly or by assignment and also include benefits etc. I have a few websites saved that i can share with you through a message if you'd like. I may look into that myself in the future for extra cash flow.. Otherwise, I'm going to focus on building my business and reaching out to see how steadily it can grow. I believe it's possible. I just have to keep doing the work on my part. I have a few friends in different regions doing the same (beauty consultants) so we do accountability check-ins every so often. It's pretty fun. I'd like to expand & have a few other dependable women/mothers to work with, to support and encourage one another, share goals and achievements, etc.
Anyhow, I pray God continues to bless you and yours as well. I see you've been blessed with your hours not being cut and your husband being able to do jobs on the side. If not one way, it's another, but God always provides! ;)
Jen7232005
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM
I'm a homeschooling WAHM and I would be happy to share with all of you what I do! There is no selling, no inventory, no risk! I've been working from home for 2 years and I love it. I would be happy to talk to each of you more about it. Let me know;)
Penmom4
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I was looking for something in writing but I will look at the links you have.

Yes you both can send me the links. Thanks.

lvaughn26
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM
I have been thinking about this myself. I would like to start my own event planning service, but I'm not sure how start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I work 20 hrs a week as a sales rep for the cable company.  I chose evenings (6pm-10pm) so dh and I could switch off.  It's awesome because it leaves me all day to get things done.

Angela

dd(17) Freshman in college

dd(15) Sophomore at performing arts high school (dance)

ds(10) 5th Grade homeschooler (Eclectically Charlotte Mason))

Visit my Blog

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2011 at 8:47 PM

How fun!

Quoting lvaughn26:

I have been thinking about this myself. I would like to start my own event planning service, but I'm not sure how start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)