Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hits and Misses

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:09 PM
  • 15 Replies

Not sure if we have done a post like this, but I always find them helpful. So, what have been your hits and misses with schooling this year? It can be curriculum, supplies, or just the overall way that you "do" school.

Hits for us: Winter's Promise Quest for the Middle Ages for my highschooler, BJU's spelling for my 6th grader, Apologia's Who Is God Bible study for all 3 of us.

Misses for us: the CDs for Teaching Textbooks 6 ( it is too much visual stimulation for my 6th grader, so we just use the book alone)

by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carolkey74
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM
Hits: Khan Academy Algebra. It's wonderful! Answers in Genesis Ancient Civilizations.
Miss: BJU Heritage Studies 5. It's very dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

hits---- teaching  comprhension level and not age  level  ,

they are diff for my 11 yr old .

noraa21
by Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Hits...finally finding a sneaky way to ge my DS to write! 

Miss....still trying to find a curriculum tha works for my DS.

cedailey
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Hits- Copycat copywork books, REAL Science Odyssey Life

Misses- The Little Duke (historical novel)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Hits--Teaching Textbooks, Singapore math, Story of the World, First Language Lessons, Handwriting Without Tears, Elemental Science

Misses--Writing With Ease--DD doesn't really like it, but I think its actually helped her with identifying the main focus of a passage. Minimus Latin is ok, don't know that she is actually learning an excessive amount but she likes the mouse.--LOL

swim-mom72
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Quoting Danielle163:

Hits--Teaching Textbooks, Singapore math, Story of the World, First Language Lessons, Handwriting Without Tears, Elemental Science

Misses--Writing With Ease--DD doesn't really like it, but I think its actually helped her with identifying the main focus of a passage. Minimus Latin is ok, don't know that she is actually learning an excessive amount but she likes the mouse.--LOL

We love Story of the World! Do you use the activity guides as well?

oredeb
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:25 AM

ok noraa! you gotta share your sneaky way ???

Quoting noraa21:

Hits...finally finding a sneaky way to ge my DS to write! 

Miss....still trying to find a curriculum tha works for my DS.

oredeb
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM

hit: field trip every month

hit: apologia general science

Danielle163
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM

We do some of the activity guide. Usually the map work and we have a discussion about location and point it out on our big world map. DD sometimes likes to color the pictures, but she's not really (at this time) into any type of craft projects as she had a rotten art teacher at ps and will instantly say no, I don't want to do it. I just keep trying to get her to relax and enjoy herself. Bad memories.

swim-mom72
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Quoting Danielle163:

We do some of the activity guide. Usually the map work and we have a discussion about location and point it out on our big world map. DD sometimes likes to color the pictures, but she's not really (at this time) into any type of craft projects as she had a rotten art teacher at ps and will instantly say no, I don't want to do it. I just keep trying to get her to relax and enjoy herself. Bad memories.

Booooooo for the bad art teacher!! LOL

There is no way we could do all of the projects in that guide! The only thing we do every chapter is the review questions(orally) and the mapping. When we do pick an activity it is usually the cooking ones or builing things with LEGOS or something along those lines.

I am sorry your daughter is still effected bad bad experiences from ps. How long has she been home with you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)