Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure if we have done a post like this, but I always find them helpful. So, what have been your hits and misses with schooling this year? It can be curriculum, supplies, or just the overall way that you "do" school.

Hits for us: Winter's Promise Quest for the Middle Ages for my highschooler, BJU's spelling for my 6th grader, Apologia's Who Is God Bible study for all 3 of us.

Misses for us: the CDs for Teaching Textbooks 6 ( it is too much visual stimulation for my 6th grader, so we just use the book alone)

by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:09 PM
Replies (11-15):
noraa21
by Member on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Quoting oredeb:

ok noraa! you gotta share your sneaky way ???

Quoting noraa21:

Hits...finally finding a sneaky way to ge my DS to write! 

Miss....still trying to find a curriculum tha works for my DS.

My sneaky way was/is to have him write a comic book about his two obessions star wars and lego's, he won't let me see it until he is done, but hey if it works.   I think this kid hates to write even his name!

Danielle163
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting Danielle163:

We do some of the activity guide. Usually the map work and we have a discussion about location and point it out on our big world map. DD sometimes likes to color the pictures, but she's not really (at this time) into any type of craft projects as she had a rotten art teacher at ps and will instantly say no, I don't want to do it. I just keep trying to get her to relax and enjoy herself. Bad memories.

Booooooo for the bad art teacher!! LOL

There is no way we could do all of the projects in that guide! The only thing we do every chapter is the review questions(orally) and the mapping. When we do pick an activity it is usually the cooking ones or builing things with LEGOS or something along those lines.

I am sorry your daughter is still effected bad bad experiences from ps. How long has she been home with you?

No doubt boooo for that bad art teacher!--LOL She's been home just shy of two years now. She's had a rough time. She's turning 9 in Jan. and has never had any real friends. But,things have started to get better.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Hit: Stepping back & letting them do what they are drawn to they start to do things that other wise they would refuse to do when asked.

Miss: not remembering the hit & trying to push them

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Hit: all about spelling, the Charlotte mason method, nature study, Saxon math

Miss: handwriting without tears was just a pita. I'm glad we are finished. Science is okay, but I'm not impressed with outdoor secrets and the companion. story of the world is neutral. I'm just not sure it's first grade material.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM

fantastic idea nora!!!

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting oredeb:

ok noraa! you gotta share your sneaky way ???

Quoting noraa21:

Hits...finally finding a sneaky way to ge my DS to write! 

Miss....still trying to find a curriculum tha works for my DS.

My sneaky way was/is to have him write a comic book about his two obessions star wars and lego's, he won't let me see it until he is done, but hey if it works.   I think this kid hates to write even his name!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)