Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Making the right decision

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
I really want to homeschool my girls. We work on reading and play games things like that now. She's 4.5 but she really wants to go to school. Should we let her go so she gets the experience or just say no aind what I want. I know I'm the parent and at some point I think homeschool will be best for her but I hate to deny her the experience. How do you know you're making the right decision? What do I do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Danielle163
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM

What "experience"  do you think she will get from ps? If you mean friendships and socializing with other children, you can find that elsewhere. Its very easy to know that your making the right choice when you know your children will be getting a superior education and won't be bullied, will not overhear 6 to 7 year olds talking about sex-related subjects, being told they can't talk at lunch, and on & on.--LOL Like you said, your the parent and YOU know what is best for your child.

Gumberly
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:50 PM
I sent my oldest to a private preK because I hadn't yet reached the homeschooling path. I really wish I hadn't. The damage that was done to his confadance was huge and we still struggle with it a year and a half later. Because of a bad teacher my DS is terrified of making a mistake.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM
I also sent my dd to prek and k and wish I hadn't. It's hard to undo that damage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM

hahah i guess its not a matter of experiencing ps or not for me, its that i wanted to teach my kids, teach them what i want them to learn, not have to deal with peer pressure and bullying, waiting to get help from the over worked teacher,  just to see that learning is fun, so i would never send them to ps, i have nothing against teachers its just that i want to teach my kids. i guess what im trying to say is (for us)i really wouldnt care if my kids wanted to go to school, its not an option for us, they were homeschooled, and they never even missed the public school !! so thats a choice you and your dh will have to decide!!! its a tough one!

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM

My oldest went to public school until the middle of the 6Th grade, my younger 2 have never been if I had it to do all over again I would have never sent my oldest there!

So my advise is homeschool her, find out why she wants to go so bad & find a way to get her that with out the PS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)