Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you buy homeschooling supplies disguised as Christmas presents?

Posted by   + Show Post

You know, science kits or globes? markers, books and novels, etc...

by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Replies (21-26):
lucsch
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I've given educational toys and art supplies to my kids, but it would be a rare item for me use it directly in our homeschooling time together, especially now that my youngest is a 3rd grader (she is the only one I homeschool).

Now, I could probably get by giving my dd an ipod, which we could use for music. She borrows mine all the time.

I considered buying her a Kindle for use in school as a gift. Instead I asked my dh to get ME one for my birthday. I can deal with me getting homeschooling supplies as gifts better than my kids. LOL Maybe next year I'll ask for a microscope! Heehee.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha

Quoting lucsch:

I've given educational toys and art supplies to my kids, but it would be a rare item for me use it directly in our homeschooling time together, especially now that my youngest is a 3rd grader (she is the only one I homeschool).

Now, I could probably get by giving my dd an ipod, which we could use for music. She borrows mine all the time.

I considered buying her a Kindle for use in school as a gift. Instead I asked my dh to get ME one for my birthday. I can deal with me getting homeschooling supplies as gifts better than my kids. LOL Maybe next year I'll ask for a microscope! Heehee.

hlbhembree
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Yes they will get new crayons, markers, pencils, etc as stocking stuffers.  We are getting primarily educational toys and books for gifts with just a couple fun toys and dvds thrown in.  That being said my kids are still young enough to think that school and the educational stuff are fun so they don't care.

misselphaba
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM

My son got a Kindle from the Easter Bunny last year when he was 7.  HE LOVES IT!!  We never said anything about it being for school, though.  The kid is attached to that thing constantly!  He calls it his magic bookshelf. 

Same for the iPod.  He also likes to listen to books on "tape" while he's going to sleep. 

I think it maybe goes through to the kid as "schoolish" if you make it like it's "schoolish".  LOL  My kids have no idea that a lot of their stuff could be seen as "schoolish".  One of my son's favorite toys is Snap Circuits.  He learns so much with them, but we never said they were for school. 

Quoting lucsch:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Oh, great idea for stocking stuffers! I'm always at a lose on those things. 8)

Quoting hlbhembree:

Yes they will get new crayons, markers, pencils, etc as stocking stuffers.  We are getting primarily educational toys and books for gifts with just a couple fun toys and dvds thrown in.  That being said my kids are still young enough to think that school and the educational stuff are fun so they don't care.

itsrks
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Yes, always did and probably always will. Now my grandkids are getting some educational toys. I just gave my grandson a couple of leapfrog tag books and he loves them. One of them is about CARS. I even gave my son-in-law a Teaching Company DVD and he loved it. big smile mini

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)