Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foreign languages

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

Are you teaching your kids a foreign language?

If so , are you fluent in it?

My son is almost 4 so we are doing his preschool year, & I am starting to teach him & his sister (16 months) Italian. I am NOT fluent in or even close to fluent. I am basically learning along with them. :\

I was just curious what techiques y'all use if you aren't fluent in it?  I think it's important to learn another langauge, & they are both picking it up easily. I pick up languages pretty quickly but I'm a bit nervous at how to teach this.

any tips?

by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I am teaching them French.

I am not fluent in it at all, truthfully I don't speak French at all.

What I love is learning it with them. So much fun. I use books and cd to help with pronunciation. We are about to get Rosetta Stone Homeschooling Curriculum.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Nov. 7, 2011 at 2:44 PM

oh Rosetta Stone has a homeschooling curriculum? I'll have to look into that. I got some of the Italian stuff from RS  but i haven't really used it yet. i need to

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

oh Rosetta Stone has a homeschooling curriculum? I'll have to look into that. I got some of the Italian stuff from RS  but i haven't really used it yet. i need to

I've heard really good things about it. =D

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM
ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Nov. 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

you'll have to let me know how it is when y'all get it :) i looked it up & it looks really good. My kids are a bit young so we can wait a bit. Right now i got them picture books in Italian

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I've heard really good things about it. =D

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I'm a major fan of using live teachers via the internet.  There are a number of sites that have connections including http://www.edufire.com/.  Even your son is a bit young, but if you are learning along with your kids, it might work.  We've use Rosetta Stone, but IMO it's  best as a supplement, not as a complete course.  You really need the interplay of two human beings to achieve real fluency.  We also put up notices at the local college for students who were native speakers in the languages we were interested in (in our case, Spanish and Japanese).  We have had good luck with that approach.  You are very smart to start your children young.  We started our now 19-year-old at six months with a woman who simply played with him in Japanese.  At 18 months we started doing the same thing in Spanish.  We supplemented with Rosetta Stone and videos. He also went to a local Japanese school for about three hours a week when he got old enough.  Although he's not completely fluent in Japanese, he can certainly hold his own, and he did achieve a very high level of fluency in Spanish (at college after testing he was put into the class for "heritage speakers" i.e., kids who spoke Spanish at home).  We've had even better luck with our middle children who had the "internet advantage" and the youngest, when we got smart and got a Japanese au pair.  We are now in our fifth year of hosting, and it's meant that the "baby" simply speaks Japanese. I hope this helps! 

wright1212
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I use this http://www.youtube.com/user/tontitofrito?feature=chclk to teach spanish. we have MANY spanish families in our area. If you speak both you are almost guarenteed to get a job. We just started. We did a video on numbers first, then letters, then family, then colors. She watches the same one for more than a week daily. Then I talk about it all day. When working I will say 'what color you using' her 'red" me 'no' her 'rojo!'. I only took 2 yrs in highschool, my dh knows a bit more. I taught her how to say 'how do you say ____ in spanish' so we play that alot! I just try to conversate as much as I can on what she is learning.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Nov. 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM

thanks for the help. .but i am trying to find Italian, not Spanish. Italian is a bit harder to find I am finding but it's what we are learning. Caleb already uses English & some Italian :)

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Edufire has live tutors in all languages, including Italian.  You might want to check it out.

Shellie1084
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM

My boys are 5 and 6 and we have been learning Spanish for just over a year. They really enjoy it, I am not fluent in Spanish but I do have a friend who is so she helps a lot! The boys pick up everything better than I do (and I took Spanish for two years in high school!)

tip* keep at it  and review, review, review just because they know it today doesn't mean they will remember it next month

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)