Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Off Topic: What do you think of the Occupy Movement?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM
  • 13 Replies

what do you think about the occupy movement?

are you apart of it?

camping in the parks?

do you know what they are occupying about or what its about?

are they doing it in your town?

by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Yahooligans
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I am mixed on this one. I think they started out with a good message, but that message has fallen apart. They need a good strong leader to help coagulate their ideas and beliefs. Additionally, it is sad to see what they have done to the small businesses, and parks

LuciP
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Same here. I am mixed. My daughter works in the area for a financial institution and what they don't seem to realize that there are ordinary working folks there also. I understand their message but as with most protest as time goes on the movements can be overtaken by the fringe members. Now that the message is out there I believe a strong leader is needed to approach those who can make changes and now actively work on changes.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Quoting oredeb:

what do you think about the occupy movement? I think they need to be POed at more then just the banks, the whole of society has failed them telling them that if they do A, B & C They will have a great job & life on the other end. But what has really happened is they are in debt up to their eye balls  with no job that fits what they want non of them want to go back to flipping burgers after years in collage to get away from flipping burgers.

are you apart of it? No

camping in the parks? I don't have a problem with them doing this if it isn't braking park rules, they are public parks after all.

do you know what they are occupying about or what its about? I am under the impression that they are upset over the fact that they did everything they where told to do ( go to school graduate high school go to collage & graduate there get a great job )  & they are POed that the jobs aren't there waiting for them!

are they doing it in your town? Yes there is a small group here in Lubbock but I haven't gone by there to see it with my own eyes.

oredeb
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

its been pretty peaceful Occupy movement here, nothing like in calif, or ny

i guess yesterday they had 5000 people down town occupying, but everyone left  the city parks, except a handful , they are planning to occupy some other area

i heard the clean up is horrible! so much trash, and repairing of the grounds!

seems to have defeated the purpose?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM
I have no idea what this is. Anyone care to share? I don't watch tv or get news in anyway other than here and Facebook most of the time. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

heres one definition 

Origin

In mid-2011, the Canadian-based Adbusters Foundation, best known for its advertisement-free anti-consumerist magazine Adbusters, proposed a peaceful occupation of Wall Street to protest corporate influence on democracy, a growing disparity in wealth, and the absence of legal repercussions behind the recent global financial crisis.[5] They sought to combine the symbolic location of the 2011 protests in Tahrir Square with the consensus decision making of the 2011 Spanish protests.[6] Adbusters' senior editor Micah White said they had suggested the protest via their email list and it "was spontaneously taken up by all the people of the world.”[5] Adbusters' website said that from their "one simple demand—a presidential commission to separate money from politics" they would "start setting the agenda for a new America."[7] They promoted the protest with a poster featuring a dancer atop Wall Street's iconic Charging Bull.[8][9]

The internet group Anonymous encouraged its followers to take part in the protests, calling protesters to "flood lower Manhattan, set up tents, kitchens, peaceful barricades and occupy Wall Street."[10][11] Other groups began to join in the organization of the protest, including the internet group Anonymous, the U.S. Day of Rage, and the NYC General Assembly, the governing body of the Occupy Wall Street group.[12]

Adbusters' Kalle Lasn, when asked why it took three years after the implosion of Lehman Brothers' to call for a people's protest, said that after the election of President Obama there was a feeling among the young that he would pass laws to regulate the banking system and "take these financial fraudsters and bring them to justice." However, as time passed, "the feeling that he's a bit of a gutless wonder slowly crept in" and they lost their hope that his election would result in change.[13]

The protest was begun at Zuccotti Park since it was private property and police could not legally force them to leave without being requested to do so by the property owner.[14] At a press conference held on the same day as the protests began, New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg explained, "People have a right to protest, and if they want to protest, we'll be happy to make sure they have locations to do it."[12]

heres something else   http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=131999892216603100

Quoting Boobah:

I have no idea what this is. Anyone care to share? I don't watch tv or get news in anyway other than here and Facebook most of the time. Lol

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM
So, what exactly are they protesting? Wall street? Obama? This was in Canada, or we just got the idea from canada? I'm horrible with politics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

hahaha im not sure what they are protesting but it has something to do with money!!!hahaha, all of a sudden about a couple weeks ago we have these protesters living in our city parks! and they are called occupy movement!hahah some say they are protesting corporations making lots of money

maybe someone on here knows????

Quoting Boobah:

So, what exactly are they protesting? Wall street? Obama? This was in Canada, or we just got the idea from canada? I'm horrible with politics.

mamaistheword87
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM

what do you think about the occupy movement?  I think it is ridiculous, childish, and ill-defined.  I also think that the REAL problem people have is with the president, but people are too scared to picket our precious Obama.  People let me say it because I'm black.  If I were white and saying the same thing, I'd be called a racist.  It's an embarassment.

are you apart of it?  Hell no

camping in the parks?  Or, in my city, they actually set-up tents for visual appeal, and go home to sleep in their comfy beds.  LOL

do you know what they are occupying about or what its about?  No because the organizer don't.

are they doing it in your town?  Sadly.

mynameismuerte
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 7:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh my gosh! I think I love you!!!!!! LOL

I also think they're ridiculous and the bulk of them have no idea what they're even protesting.

I am so sickened by people who always want to point the finger, sit and wait for some "entitlement" and don't take responsibility for their own actions.  It has become an epidimic in this country.  I don't disagree that plenty of people need corks removed from their rears but that includes many of the people occupying who-knows-what.

I know there are occupiers in Cincinnati (nearest big city to me) but I don't think there is anything else local around here.

Quoting mamaistheword87:

what do you think about the occupy movement?  I think it is ridiculous, childish, and ill-defined.  I also think that the REAL problem people have is with the president, but people are too scared to picket our precious Obama.  People let me say it because I'm black.  If I were white and saying the same thing, I'd be called a racist.  It's an embarassment.

are you apart of it?  Hell no

camping in the parks?  Or, in my city, they actually set-up tents for visual appeal, and go home to sleep in their comfy beds.  LOL

do you know what they are occupying about or what its about?  No because the organizer don't.

are they doing it in your town?  Sadly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN