Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need advice!

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:59 AM
  • 5 Replies

I really need a few pointers about homeschooling. I am homeschooling my 2nd grader and my 10th grader and I am worried that I am not teaching them enough. I tried to get them into an online public school program since there is no charge but they already had the maximum number of kids allowed. I need to know if anyone could help me find a free or cheap program for my kids. I just want to make sure they are getting enough education. I would appreciate any information anyone can provide. Thanks  in advance.

by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Danielle163
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I follow (not rigidly) Rebecca Rupp's book (Home Learning Year by Year--How to  Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School) to give me "guidelines" as to what I should be teaching and when. The E.D. Hirsch Jr. books (What Your Second Grader Needs to Know----they go up to 6th grade) will also help give you guidelines. You can also get a scope and sequence from like Calvert.com, PBS kids online, etc.

We are eclectic homeschoolers. I piece our curriculum together, using different resources for the different subjects. For your second grader you  could use Time4Learning. I think its pretty reasonable ($20/month for one child and its online) and it provides math, lang. arts, SS, and science....you might want to supplement some. For your 10th grader, I'm not into the upper grades yet so I'm not much help there. For math you could use the khan academy online, its free. Really good site. I'm sure someone else will chime in that has older children. Good luck.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:30 AM

If you go to your local school district's website, do some searching around to see if you can find their curriculum guides or scope and sequences.

The high school website will probably have a list of all their classes, so you'll be able to get a good idea of what classes are appropriate for basic graduation requirements, as well as what's appropriate for kids on a college track.

You may also be able to search through the teacher's websites to see if any of them have their syllabi published as a guide for their students.

Obviously, you don't have to do everything the teachers do, but it should provide some understanding of the standards that have to be met for high school.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I agree with what the others have said and wanted to add this. Make your house an educational enviroment and it will reall make your job easier. Make sure your taking them to the library so they can pick out books and keep globes and art supplies in easy reach. LOL Kids, even teenagers, will teach themselves without realizing what they are doing, given the chance. LOL

joneslady37
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. It is appreciated.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:57 AM

I just want to let in on a closely guarded secret...we've ALL felt this way at one time or another. I believe stresses/worries such as these make us better patents & teachers. So hang in there, what you are feeling is completely normal!!

Otherwise, I am not much help, I design my own curriculum. But another free program is http://www.lessonpathways.com/ , we personally, didn't like time4learning post 2nd grade and on. I just didn't like that there is zero handwriting and half-way through second grade they stop the animations that my kids loved so much. :( We have also enjoyed http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)