Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help! New to homeschool and need HELP!

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 10, pulled him out of public school long story short he begged and begged me to, and have been trying to homeschool for two months(he has been in public school k-3rd). He is impossible! Today for example....I asked him to read Isaiah 55:3, he complained that he was somewhere else and didn't want to do what I asked, I suggested he do as I asked and we will make time to explore what he was reading. Eyes rolling, sighing, he takes 10 min to find the verse, then mumbles through it, so I ask him to repeat it again and again until I can finally understand what he was saying...finally we get through the verse... I asked two questions to provoke some thought "why does God allow deafness"? and "Why don't we live in a perfect world"? All I got back was "I dunno I'm not God".  At this point we are 45 min into something that should have take maybe 10 min and his attitude is only getting worse.  I can't get through, we are doing Konos curriculum and it's like pulling teeth to get him to do ANYTHING! Today we were supposed to take apart a telephone and label the parts then read about Alexander Graham Bell and write a paper.... He doesn't want to do ANYTHING "it's stupid" "that's retarded"or my personal favorite after he has been given an assignment "WHAT! I HAVE TO DO ALL THAT" I feel like everything I get out of him is like pulling teeth all day I find myself dragging him through every lesson, experiment or anything we do, nothing is "easy" he fights me every stepof the way and contributes nothing to a discussion. He argues every point I try to make. Any work he does "complete" is crap, barely legible and far below his ability, so we have to re-do every assignment over and over....I can't keep battling this kid every day!

We have had talks about going back to public school and him needing to participate to make homeschooling work, he will be great the day after a "talk" then rapidly goes down hill, then comes the weekend and we recharge and begin the downward spiral and be wednesday are having the "talk"again

Somebody please put this into perspective for me!!!!!!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Replies (11-13):
wright1212
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:09 AM

When children have those big power struggles it can be they feel they lost control of their lives and are over compensating for it. What if you made a game of HS and said like ok here are the subjects I want to do: math, science, reading, writing. Now you get to chose the how and I will help how you want me to. So if wants to do fractions or just add go with it. Science same ask what he wants to learn about for the next 2 days, research it together go on a trip whatever. It seems like you need to win him over as your teacher. When I give my DD choice it goes SO much better. She got so mad at me over jounral writing. So i told her she has to practice reading AND writing so we just talked about it. We went over some other options, made a list of ideas to try until we find a reading/writing system that works for her-she agreed to try as long as no more journal prompt writing!

luvthesoap
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Did you deschool him?

Betty in KY

itsrks
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Quoting wright1212:

When children have those big power struggles it can be they feel they lost control of their lives and are over compensating for it. What if you made a game of HS and said like ok here are the subjects I want to do: math, science, reading, writing. Now you get to chose the how and I will help how you want me to. So if wants to do fractions or just add go with it. Science same ask what he wants to learn about for the next 2 days, research it together go on a trip whatever. It seems like you need to win him over as your teacher. When I give my DD choice it goes SO much better. She got so mad at me over jounral writing. So i told her she has to practice reading AND writing so we just talked about it. We went over some other options, made a list of ideas to try until we find a reading/writing system that works for her-she agreed to try as long as no more journal prompt writing!

I agree. One of my sons had similar issues at 10. I backed out a little and gave him directions but it was up to him whether he'd do it or not. Sometimes I got frustrated but so did he. He took two years to do one years worth of work. It was okay because he needed it. After that he still didn't like school but he did it on his own.

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)