Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you 'do' Preschool? When did you start?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

What did you do and how much time did you spend formally teaching you kiddo?

by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM

we dont really do sit down work. To me preschool work is really just parenting. reading books, art projects, songs, learning should be hands on and fun. we play letter games or things so he learns what he needs to but its not a formal thing.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM
I don't do much structured at the moment, she is 2.5. But t 3, maybe 4 we will start more planning. Right now she just is incorporated in whatever my 6yo might be doing,or plays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM
I started with a scaled-down, more Tot School version of the curriculum I found at Brightly Beaming when LO was almost 27 months old. I choose a new theme each week (this week is apples) and make activities fit it. We've colored apples, made a construction paper collage apple tree, learned parts of the apple, sang songs and read books about or mentioning apples, and enjoyed apple snacks, dessert and tea. Most of our "work" is crafts and simple counting games, listening to music while we do normal mom and baby stuff like hailnbray above, and lots and lots of reading. I let him do what he wants for a while after the first hour of "school," then we do a little more before nap, after lunch. If the weather is good, we try to fit in a walk every day, or at least play outside. LO enjoys helping to sort the laundry now that he knows light and dark. Learning happens all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.BlessedMommie.
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM
Yep, but it's not all structured. My Son does have a Curriculum and I also print off extra worksheets from my favorite site. We also do learn through play activities and just have fun with it all. We started in September, my Son is 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
utkallie
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I started with DD (almost 4) when she was around 2 years just doing letters of the week even though she knew them. I thought that's what I was supposed to do but she got bored quickly so we started mixing it up and exploring other things. I do have an eclectic curriculum but we are very loose about it and only do the things she wants for as long as she wants.

Gumberly
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:05 PM
I do a mottified version of letter of the week for my (just turned) 4 year olds but only because they wanted to do school like their big brother. We have a theme, letter, number, and a shape or color that changes ever week. I will find pictures that go with the theme to color and read books that go with it. We do sand letters and numbers for each weeks letter and number, because I am usin speed to write and read they are learning the letter sounds instead of names right now.
harream
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 3:17 PM

We started preschool this yr and do school 2-3 days a wk (about 2 hrs a day) but it doesn't always mean we are doing work in books. My daughter likes to cook and do crafts :-) we are making Christmas presents this yr for grandparents!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM

My kids love cooking, too.

Quoting harream:

We started preschool this yr and do school 2-3 days a wk (about 2 hrs a day) but it doesn't always mean we are doing work in books. My daughter likes to cook and do crafts :-) we are making Christmas presents this yr for grandparents!

EaiB
by on Nov. 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Using Lessonpathways.com, I just do a kindergarten activity. Only one, b/c she won't sit through more than that (my daighter is 4, almost 5) and we read topical books, I give her art supplies, we try to do fun things like zoo, nature center sort of frequently. I had bought an Oakmeadow curriculum for preschool, and it's mostly just campy ideas like a candle ritual in the morning (nooooo thank you) and some cool ideas for open play. But that's all it is. Hopefully, if I should ever choose to do it again next year, their Kindergarten will be formal, but I think formal preschool is probably not even doable to the extent that other grades are.

oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM

we didnt do any grades, when i first started we did arts and crafts till my oldest was ready to start with the phonics

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)