Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Too soon for Kindergarten? PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son will be 5 at the end of March. We are currently doing "preschool" work together and he will be done with the workbooks and, I feel, ready for kindergarten work starting in January. My husband is concerned that he will be done with Kindergarten a year before most kids his age. I feel that if he can do the work (and he LOVES school) then it is ok to start him this Jan. and not to worry about his age? What do you ladies think?

by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaHome
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:08 PM

GO for it!

Why stiffle his learning?  Thats one of the benefits of home schooling!

mynameismuerte
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry about age at all.  My DS missed the cut off for K last year so that's where he'd be right now in PS.  Instead we're doing 95% first grade work.  The beauty is that if there ever comes a time when you need to slow down for him to grasp something it's no big deal.Even without the extra built in time, that's still the beauty of HSing.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 11:43 PM

You get to dictate what grade he is in and what work that means. 8) If you want to give him kindergarten work and call it Preschool who is going to say 'no'. If you put him in K,  then you can stretch it out as long as you want, too.

wright1212
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM

as long as your still homeschooling next year. Otherwise the PS does not handle those who are ahead well. My dd (before homeschool) passed all her entrance K test, this is what they work on all year. She was bored and in trouble for talking all year long. Just review 4yo learning standards and state K standards and move right long. We found on lessonpathways under science and social studies they never taught those subject in public K, so now in 1st grade we are backtracking. You could do the same thing and go ahead with those subject and just throw in math/reading to them. So when doing study on community helpers make a math game and perhaps which helpers start with which sounds. I think its common among homeschoolers to merge grades to the child's abilities, not to conform to the publics view.

Camey82
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM

My daughter will be four in 8 days. We're starting her in January. We had her tested and she's testing on a kindergarten-high 1st grade level (depending on the area). In the system, she wouldn't be able to start kindergarten until August 2013...that would be SUCH a waste of time!

GO FOR IT!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I think with this age, more than any other, go as far as the child wants but as a parent, don't push. The kid shouldn't be stressed out when it comes to school work. It's all supposed to be fun at this age. 8)

oredeb
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

ive not read the responds yet, so probably a repeat!

if hes ready go for it! grade levels dont matter, i taught mine without grade levels and it didnt hold them back or anything, have fun!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN