Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ron Paul and Homeschooling

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM
  • 22 Replies
2 moms liked this

I was looking up all the candidates and their issues and I like that Ron Paul is for homeschooling. He also proposes a tax credit for each homeschooled child for books. supplies, ect. What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/homeschooling/

by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.N._Guin
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I am torn. I feel like on one hand that kind of money would do SO much for homeschooling families. On the other, I feel like there will be a lot of rules and restrictions put in place that families will have to follow if they want to keep their children home, which could take away from the ability to cater your child's education specifically to them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I agree with this. I'm happy with the state of things now so I am leary to rock the boat.

I am torn. I feel like on one hand that kind of money would do SO much for homeschooling families. On the other, I feel like there will be a lot of rules and restrictions put in place that families will have to follow if they want to keep their children home, which could take away from the ability to cater your child's education specifically to them

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Hmmm...good point.

P.N._Guin
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I would also hate to see homeschooling develop the same type of problems as say, foster care. Children suffer because (some) people see a way to make an extra buck. $5000 per child, heck, $5000 period is a lot of money...

I appreciate the recognition homeschooling is getting,and I think RP's heart is in the right place, but I do worry that it would do more harm than good in the long run
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeh, I can understand what he may be trying to do. Public schools are supposed to get so much per student to teach them and I guess he is trying to be fair, but then what restrictions would they put in place.

I could see myself doing so much with even just 5000. My goodness the field trips.

P.N._Guin
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 5:05 PM
And science equipment! Lol! It's a grand gesture, and is sure as heck put it to good use! I am in agreement with mem though, things are just fine now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with all of you! I love RP & Have every intention of voting for him even if I have to write his name in! I think the only way this could work is if it was set up when you set up your dependents so that taxes can be taken out from your pay check, that way it is always your money & never your money you payed to the government that they are giving back ( for some reason the government thinks if they touch our money that gives them some kind of right to it)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 8:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I like the idea of a tax credit much better than anything else.  I like it because you get to choose to take it or leave it at your discretion.  You never have to accept a tax credit.

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 8:38 AM

The best way to find out about a candidate is to check their voting record.

Ron Paul's Voting History

Who donates to Ron Paul 

At those two sites one can research other candidates.  Since Herman Cain has not held an office, it is a bit harder to research him.  But Open Secrets has some information on Herman Cain, and other candidates.

Now is a great opportunity to teach children about the election process, and how to do research.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I know right now we get tax credits for our children and there are no regulations on that. So it just makes me wonder if as a tax credit it could work.

Anyway, I'm just as excited that he would make sure that a diploma we give our children is to the same level as public school and would be accepted at colleges.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)