Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Made me kinda wanna smack my brother...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

My brother saying I needed to get a job and put my kids in school. I was like why would I want to do that like I'm really gonna go to work just to pay for daycare. I said yeah right I'm homeschooling my kids and he was all your kids don't know anything they don't even  speak right. Saying my oldest needed speech therapy. I'm like wtf really my kids can talk your ears off and they are both really smart how do I know this because I teach them and I'm around them. Than he was all what about socializing them... what if you wanna put him in  football they're not gonna be able to do anything.

by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Ugh! This sounds exactly like my brother. Just ignore him. 8(

aktundra
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I have a brother like that too!  He is a public school teacher in CA, and has NOTHING good to say about the system or the kids, yet he thinks I should send my kids to public school.  I don't know that he even understands why I look at him the way I do...

MJ

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM

He needs to be properly informed ;)

bmw29
by Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM
Ignore him. He will be proven wrong one day but he may never admit it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I think my brother would be like that if we spoke to each other (that is a whole other post). His wife works at a school in the library & from what I get from my adult niece they talk trash about how my kids are getting all messed up from being homeschooled. What is funny to me is that my brother hated school so much that he dropped out in the 12Thgrade at the age of 17, but he makes his kids go to public school knowing they hate it as much as he did & he knows there are option so it isn't like he doesn't know there are other choices out there! 

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Teachers are now the biggest influx into the home school venue, and the reasons they give are well worth heeding: 

Statistics about how Home Schooled children outperform public schooled children

Home School Legal  Defense Association: Home School children do better on the ACT test.

EaiB
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romacox:

Teachers are now the biggest influx into the home school venue, and the reasons they give are well worth heeding: 

Statistics about how Home Schooled children outperform public schooled children

Home School Legal  Defense Association: Home School children do better on the ACT test.

Yeah, but those studies didn't fairly compare in that school children whose parents are involved in their learning and lives also do about the same. Honestly, I'm fracking sick of the rep. public school gets from homeschoolers and sick of the rep. homeschooling gets from public/private schoolers. These are just CHOICES about learning. If you stay involved and help your child explore BOTH OPTIONS ARE QUITE FINE.

Old goths don't die. They just wear less make-up. chopped head

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM

That is true.  Homeschooling is not for everyone, and parents are wise to listen to their own inner guidance. Many parents do stay involved,  and are able to make up for what the schools lack.

Just as some public schooled children do not receive an adequate education, so it is with the home school venue.

However, it is also true that on the average, home school children do better than the public schooled children.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM
I wanna smack my brother all the time. :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRISTAL_WILDER
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 8:47 AM

He is being a worrying uncle. Explain to him that you know your kids better than him and that they do well in a home school environment. tell him how good a teacher you are.  I know my son wouldn't do well in a home school environment because i worked with him before he started kindergarten and it was hard to get him to focus and learn his letters and how to write them. He wasnt good with playing with other kids either. Within a few weeks of school he was reading words. He is doing better with other kids too. I just wasnt the right teacher for him. 

Give him examples of when they socialize with other children. If you are doing well financially explain that to him and why you dont need to work. I would say ignore it but it will keep bothering him and harm your relationship with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)