Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Gradeschoolers and Toddlers

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM
  • 4 Replies

For those of you with gradeschoolers and toddlers, how do you keep the toddlers entertained? This is week 3 for us. I have a Kindergartener, 1st, and 3rd grader and then twin girls who will be two in a couple months. The twinkies like to get into trouble while i'm schooling the boys. I'm assuming the lack of attention pointed towards them doesn't help. Any way to get the toddlers involved other than just coloring? Or anything to keep them busy while the other kids are schooling besides television? I know that there is educational television, but I just hate for them to watch hours of it.

by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM

maybe space things out. Or bring them to the table, desk or wherever and try and include them in what you can, or give them their own "work" or task to do (playdo, puzzle, coloring, etc). Right now I'm having trouble with my 14 month old who gets into EVERYTHING and climbs on everything while I'm teaching. My lessons are limited to 30-45 minutes long.

Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM

btw...cute family....love the prfile pic!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM
I agree with breaking it up a bit. Do some during nap if they take one.
Chelsey is 2.5 and she likes blocks, puzzles, play doh, lacing cards, crayons, color wonder markers, dry erase boards and markers (these actually erase off skin super easy!)
She also likes when I give her the same thing as my first grader. So if Julia is coloring a page on china and silkworms, I make an extra copy for her to color along. When Julia is doing handwriting, I give chels a paper and pencil.

Also, she loves when we start our day with circle time, because it involves her.
We listen to "the good morning song", then say the pledge (she is getting good at this). Then we sit crisscross cross apple sauce and sing the open shut them song to get them to sit nicely. After that I read a story that is more geared to the 2.5 year old, but the 6 year old listens also. I usually try to make it a book about something we are working on (red, fall, leaves, pumpkins, etc). Then I start in on the 6yo's work, giving the 2.5 yo something to do.

It takes a little more effort, but it helps when i need to work with the older one. She knows mommy will come back to her after sissy finishes math or whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

heres a few things i did with my kids

i would spend time with my younger ones before i'd teach the older ones, that seemed to help them a lot when i needed to teach certain one on one things to the older child.

when i had a baby i'd put the baby in the holder thing around me and teach the older kids, then i could just go long and teach with not many interruptions happening,

i made play dough for them to play with at certain times only

a movie put on for them, coloring book helps sometimes!,  listening to a tape, certian toys they can play with only at certain times(like while im tring to teach another child a new concept)

i do include all the kids as much as possible, reading together(gotta train them to sit down and listen), art stuff, music stuff, math time i bring out the blocks, measuring cups, or spoons, manipulatives,for the younger kids to play with, and during language arts i bring out the puzzles for them to play with

i made one of those things the kids can drive little cars on, and they could play with it only at certain times, it had cars, and little houses we made(when they were older with the houses)

another thing they liked doing was drawing or scribbling on large paper, jumping on a matt, blocks,  letting them use markers on paper,

i had a play pen i could put them in at times with a toy

be sure to always have time to do stuff with the younger children, might be hard but you gotta do it! and you can do it! just start and it will get easier as you go along, being consistant in what you do will help a lot also training your kids to do certain things at certain times will help you a lot, they will come to expect it. but it takes time to teach them! and that will help them when its time for them to start learning more academic stuff!

when ;you need to teach one of the kids something have another child older one, if you have one! take on the younger kids, by reading a story or doing something with them.

what ever you do your little ones are gona be watching you teach the older ones, and they learn so much from just hearing,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN