Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is it overwhealming??

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM
  • 17 Replies

So I'm starting to explore homeschooling my kids (3, 2 and 6 months). I'm feeling a bit overwhealmed, like there is now way I can do this as I went to school for medicine and not education. Any expert homeschoolers out there feel this way initially? Or is it not for everyone? Is it significantly more beneficial to have an education degree to homeschool your kids properly?

by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mynameismuerte
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm certainly not an expert but I spent close to 2 years trying to decide what I wanted out of homeschooling and how to get there.  My oldest is only 6 and my other two are 3 & 2.  My first goal was to read all I could on the methods out there and once I read The Well Trained Mind I knew that approach was for us.  After that things just started falling into place as I started reading message boards and researching curriculums.  I'm still not 100% sure on some things but I know he's still getting a better education than he would otherwise.

IMHO it's about being flexible.  Instead of trapping yourself in a box, always be open to other possibilities and changing whatever it is that feels like it may not be working.

ETA: Because I really didn't answer your most important question, NO I don't think you need an education background to be successful.  My degree isn't in education.  I have been teaching my son since the day he was born and I know him best.  I know which ways are effective to get a point across and which aren't, KWIM?  I have instructor's guides/co-ops, friends, etc to help me with the hard stuff later on.

oredeb
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM

hi smtc, and welcome

you dont have to go to college to teach your kids. Its a new challenge for you so at first its scary!! to have control over your kids education! wow! a big step to take. but once you start teaching the kids and getting use to it, it will be fine.

well i guess there is no proper way to homeschool your kids! sounds funny but they all learn in different ways, there's no one way to teach a child, once you start working with your kids, you'll notice ways they learn, and also ways you learn and teach. 

since ive never had a college education i don't know if its any better to have one or not to teach kids!hahahaha but i had no trouble teaching my kids! they are grown successful people, and I'm still teaching friends kids now.

why do you want to teach your kids at home? that's good that your starting to find out about it now, gathering all the info! there's lots of it!

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Nov. 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
We're unhappy with what we are hearing about class sizes at the schools here. Also, I'd like to protect the childish innocence as long as possible. I want them to love God with all their heart and public schools don't seem to have much room for that. Also, some o the things I hear about scare me, like how early bullying, drugs and sex occur. Life is different than when I was little. I'm hopeful I can give my kids at least AS good as what they'd get publically, maybe add a foreign language younger than in public school though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM

those are great reasons smtc!! i see your in western oregon? im in northern oregon! rainy days here! snow at the end of the week

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

We're unhappy with what we are hearing about class sizes at the schools here. Also, I'd like to protect the childish innocence as long as possible. I want them to love God with all their heart and public schools don't seem to have much room for that. Also, some o the things I hear about scare me, like how early bullying, drugs and sex occur. Life is different than when I was little. I'm hopeful I can give my kids at least AS good as what they'd get publically, maybe add a foreign language younger than in public school though.

BusCaptainMama
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM
It seemed & at times IS overwhelming!!!! BUT, at the end of the day it's so worth it ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Nov. 14, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Thanks all, I'll keep exploring :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

YES overwhelming! BUT those moments are so easily forgotten with the joyous moments you encounter. ANYONE can homeschool, but it is not for EVERYONE. You must be willing to grow-learn, patience, and be willing to change if your teaching methods are not working. (things you wont know until you start).

I do have an M.Ed. in early childhood. My personal view is that it is easier for me. I have tons of experience with special ed (my son now), preschool teacher, and understanding curriculum and learning styles. Others are great homeschool teachers because they possess the good qualities any teacher/caring adult needs. My advantage is knowing how children learn. I believe everyone has an advantage whether it be creativity, resourcefullness, money, patience, understanding. One of my good friends that homeschools never went to college, she has unbelievable patience and a very strong faith in God that helps her. Another friend is so resourceful and a very hard worker. We all have skills that help!

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Nov. 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Thanks wright1212!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I've been homeschooling for more than 14 years.  Our oldest is now in his second year of college and our youngest is almost 5.  I don't think a ed degree is necessary.  My background is in law.  What IS required is an interest in education and how children learn, together with a dedication to make it work. Frankly,  I think that the best quality you can have is an ability to set preconceived notions aside when things don't work out the way you expect.  Not everyone learns in the same way.  Not every standard curriculum works for every child.  Flexibility and intellectual honesty (is it really working or are you sticking with it because you think it SHOULD work) are far more important than what you studied in school.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM

It can get overwhelming, especially at first, but then things start to fall into place. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN