Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So I'm starting to explore homeschooling my kids (3, 2 and 6 months). I'm feeling a bit overwhealmed, like there is now way I can do this as I went to school for medicine and not education. Any expert homeschoolers out there feel this way initially? Or is it not for everyone? Is it significantly more beneficial to have an education degree to homeschool your kids properly?

by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Replies (11-17):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Yes it can be over whelming. For me I found that unschooling was the way for our family & that helped to not be over whelmed.

Danielle163
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I think that is very much the norm....when you start out your overwhelmed, uncertain, nervous, etc. I'm sure there are some people that are not suited to homeschooling. I think that if you are committed to providing your children with an excellent education, you can push through anything. I did graduate high school, but in no way did I apply myself. I've either got ADD or ADHD or combo....I've always had racing thoughts, trouble focusing, etc. Just jump in and you will start to relax as you go along. Just think of all of the things that you have already taught your children, and there are an over-abundant supply of resources available to homeschoolers these days. You'll do fine.

EaiB
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

A curriculum helps with it not being so overwhelming.

swim-mom72
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I will be very honest here. This is our 5th year homeschooling, and I STILL feel overwhelmed at times. I don't think that feeling is atypical for any profession, be it doctor, nurse, soldier, etc.. We all get that way. Luckily, the severity of that feeling is much less now than it was in the beginning. Plus, I am better equipped to handle those times because I continue to educate myself through books, the internet, and other homeschool moms.

Who better to educate your children than the very people that God intrusted their lives to? Contrary to what the public scholl system would have you believe, sending them off for someone else to "educate" is not the only way to school your children. Not only CAN you do this, but you can do it better : )

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM
I'm loving the continued feedback, thanks guys! I'm picking up some books this week to start reading!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I am no expert!!! I am still working to find ways to ease the "overwhelmed" feeling. But I am finding the key is to find ways that work for YOU and your children . Even if that means combinging several things or being flat out silly ! LOL One thing I have started doing is setting aside time each week to prepare for the upcomming school week. I get all crafts ready to go, get all work sheets out and stapled in packets ( this works best for us) and get any books that are in our lesson plan out and ready to go as well.

Danielle163
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I'm loving the continued feedback, thanks guys! I'm picking up some books this week to start reading!

Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year--How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School--this is an excellent book. She homeschooled all three of her kids.

Susan Wise Bauer--The Well-Trained Mind

The E.D. Hirsch Jr. books give good guidelines as to what you should be teaching and when. I believe they start in either Preschool or K. and go to 6th grade....you can use it in your studies if you choose to.

The Unofficial Guide to Homeschooling by Kathy Ishizuka--I haven't checked this one out yet, but plan on it.

I also agree with sew4fun--I make sure that everything is planned out the night before. Makes for such a smoother day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)