Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When do you clean?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM
  • 18 Replies

Last night, about 11pm, I was vacuuming our bedroom when DH comes in and says, "What are you doing?" ...Ummmm.... I'm vacuuming. (Cant you see that? I ask myself) ...he says, "But everyone's sleeping, it's bed time."

I ALWAYS clean at night after they have been in bed for an hour or so.  I have the kids clean up all their stuff and take it to their rooms at bed time, so there is minimal clutter in the house once they are in bed. The kids sleep like rocks, it NEVER wakes them. 

I am usually up for another hour after I'm done, so I get to relax in a clean house. I wake up to a clean house. It stays that way until the kids finish school around lunch time. DH doesn't see this because I do the majority of my cleaning on his work nights. He thinks I'm totally nuts.

If I waited and cleaned in the A.M. I'm sure I would wake the kids with the vacuum, they are light sleepers once the sun is up. If I do it in the afternoon, I'm tripping over kids and it will just get messy again.

So when do you clean?

(PS - I posted this on another board and the majority of them said "While the kids are in school" so that didn't give me the right perspective. LOL)

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellie1084
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM

We (the kids and I) clean throughout the day. Beds are made and rooms are clean before breakfast. I also make sure kitchen and living room are clean at this time. I vacuum either while they are doing independent work or during reading/rest time. They clean their room again after nap and before bed. Laundry is done throughout the day Mon/Wed/Fri. Each day I pick a room and focus on making sure it is clean (dusted, organized, etc)

silvamom24
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM
I try to clean 3 times a day. Morning, noon, and night
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

We clean off & on throughout the day. Things that have to get done everyday are dishes, laundry, bathrooms & vacuuming ( we have 2 cats & a dog that are all inside so this is a must)

Kaylon
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I clean at nighttimes too.  I have may a goal to not clean while the kids are awake UNLESS they are right beside me helping.  Team work!!   My husband works night shift as well.  He is home now though.  (works 8 days and off 6 days).  So that kind of messes with my schedule.  lol.    

CREAMBROWN
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Throughout the day, it's necessary! LOL...  I don't do the vacuuming all the time anymore, 6 yo DD does that, downstairs.... The kids are responsible for much of the cleaning, esp since the oldest 3 are 6 , nearly 4 and nearly 4.  Do your kids not help out with the cleaning?? You may want to incorporate them in that now. That's the only way they learn .... watching you, and doing it, too. :)  Maybe one of the oldest can spot vacuum before bed??

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I get up an hour earlier then the kids. But I make them clean and help. Other wise I would go crazy !!!

Jill

Danielle163
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I have a cleaning schedule, otherwise I just spin my wheels and never get anything done.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:05 PM

The kids clean up throughout the day and I do the 'heavy' cleaning at random times. Since I have a newborn, it happens when all the stars align:Baby happy, toddler happy, older kids on the ball doing their own chores and then if Mommy has enough energy to move. LOL I do do the heavy kitchen stuff at night after the kids go to bed or first thing in the morning before the younger two get going for the day.

I love waking up to a clean kitchen! LOL Hubby doesn't question the hows,whens or whys, he is just grateful it's not him vacuuming at night. HAHAHA

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM
The kids do help. They all have things they are responsible for. They each vacuum a different room, they each clean part of the guest bathroom (counters,floor, toilet) and rotate the job weekly. DS1 does doggie dookie, DS2 does cat litter, DD does recycling. Now that they are older I should start rotating that too.

But all "my" jobs and deep cleaning, I do after bed time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diggems0312
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM
The kids do their part. Its written into our family daily routine. I only homeschool my oldest (11) right now so he does a lot independently. I clean while he works. Stopping to answer questions. If they were all home idk when Id do it lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)