Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Last night, about 11pm, I was vacuuming our bedroom when DH comes in and says, "What are you doing?" ...Ummmm.... I'm vacuuming. (Cant you see that? I ask myself) ...he says, "But everyone's sleeping, it's bed time."

I ALWAYS clean at night after they have been in bed for an hour or so.  I have the kids clean up all their stuff and take it to their rooms at bed time, so there is minimal clutter in the house once they are in bed. The kids sleep like rocks, it NEVER wakes them. 

I am usually up for another hour after I'm done, so I get to relax in a clean house. I wake up to a clean house. It stays that way until the kids finish school around lunch time. DH doesn't see this because I do the majority of my cleaning on his work nights. He thinks I'm totally nuts.

If I waited and cleaned in the A.M. I'm sure I would wake the kids with the vacuum, they are light sleepers once the sun is up. If I do it in the afternoon, I'm tripping over kids and it will just get messy again.

So when do you clean?

(PS - I posted this on another board and the majority of them said "While the kids are in school" so that didn't give me the right perspective. LOL)

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM
Replies (11-18):
oredeb
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 6:04 PM

i clean at night sometimes also, and throughout the day, certain day for certian things, cleaning schedule!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I/we clean in the evenings usually, unless we know that company's coming.  We also clean after every major project.

delmeg10
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I do most of the cleaning in the early mornings when the boys are still sleeping, during naptimes, or while they are eating. I could never do the vacuuming while they are sleeping though. Our house is WAY too small and they don't sleep real well, so I'd definitely wake them up.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 16, 2011 at 8:51 AM
Ummmm, is this a trick question? Have you seen my house lately?
Lol
I usually pick up throughout the day, and clean on the weekend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I spend a 1/2 hour on a morning routine (laundry, put away dishes, wipe down bathroom, make beds) and 15 minutes on 1 larger chore (dusting, mopping, cleaning out the fridge, etc).  Then another 30-40 minutes on an evening routine (wipe table, counters, & stove, do dishes, sweep/swiffer kitchen, 10 minute pickup).  I work from 6pm-10pm so I do thsi after work (10:30pm-ish)  Throughout the day there is just basic maintaining.

Angela

dd(17) Freshman in college

dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school

ds(10) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

Vicky1975
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Cleaning? - I don't! I don't have time to clean, so I have to squeeze it in here and there. I wish I had the time, but I don't. My Son does not sleep before 9pm (or later). My husband comes home at 9:30pm. That's our only time we can spend together. He stays up late, so I stay up late (midnight or so). In the morning I try to make it out of bed by 7 or 8 am. By this time my son is up already. I get ready, make breakfast, do the dishes (sometimes). My husband gets ready for work at 10am. That's when we start homeschooling. My son does part of his work by himself, so that's when I try to clean a little bit, but some days I am just too tired. Plus, I am interrupted constantly, so I don't really get things done. Once schoolwork is done my son needs to be entertained. He can play by himself for a little bit, but constantly needs to show me what he is doing. So there is no time to clean except for Saturdays.

I would love to have a cleaner house, but I don't know how to find the time. I tried to sleep less, but that doesn't work since I get done less when I am very tired. Sometimes I admire peope who have 6 hours to keep there house in order because their kids are in school.

I am open to any suggestions but for now I pretty much buried to dream of a clean and organized home.

EaiB
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Honestly I have to wait until I get help (my mom often comes to visit after her work) to do any deep cleaning. Night time for the living room and my bedroom and kitchen/bathroom (but I can't really pick up or vacuum in their room while they are sleeping, so I often just do it while they are occupied with a computer program or a film).

wright1212
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I get so frustrated with this. I clean always and never, either way its the same. Lately Ive had back to back health/physical issues and cant keep up. Only my DD6 can help clean. I make piles of stuff that needs to go to other rooms and she takes it. My boys destroy things way faster than I can keep them clean. PLUS we have no sink right now with septic issues. I have to do dishes in a bathroom sink=hard. I vaccuum alot since im allergic to dust. Really down right now, maybe ill rethink this on a good day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)