Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Off topic: Frugal Thanksgiving!!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 6:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

how frugal are you with thanksgiving?

decorating for it

cooking

crafts

what do you do so it doesnt cost so much?

by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
delmeg10
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 7:57 PM

We do a very minimal Thanksgiving. It's always just me and DH, and the boys at home for Thanksgiving dinner. If we "decorate", it's normally just crafts that me and the boys have made. I do go all out for dinner though. Either a turkey or a ham (we normally get one or the other for free from the Infants & Toddlers program that my little one is in), then stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and dessert. But, I coupon, so I pick the things up throughout the months leading up to Thanksgiving and normally get most of the fixings for free or less than $0.50 each. Very inexpensive meal for us four!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM
Well, we don't have many decorations for it, just a few fall things. And the places we go don't decorate, maybe napkins but that is about it.

Cooking costs a lot because the cost of everything is going up. I usually make 4 sweet potato casserole pans and 2 broccoli casserole pans. (split between two parties). Then we usually just buy rolls because I don't have that kind of time. Lol and I can't resist making a good dessert, and cheese ball. I like to make the cheese ball in festive shapes. I know, weird.

But at least I don't have to buy EVERYTHING.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvthesoap
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I don't decorate. I think that's a waste of time & money. For the meal. I do most of my shopping at Aldi's. The prices are great there. 

Betty in KY

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM

We have slowly built up our fall decoration so we have a pretty good look going on. We'll do some crafts to liven it up.

I start couponing and buying the meal food on sale about a month or so in advance so that really helps.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM

We try to make things from scratch like the pies & rolls. We don't decorate unless it is stuff the kids have made for arts & crafts.

oredeb
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

this is the only holiday we celebrate so i plan ahead, look for cranberries that are on sale and freeze or can them throughout the year

i plant the vegetables i will need for the dinner, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, salad ingred., celery, onions, broc,

buy the turkeys when on sale

buy the prime rib on sale if i can find it(that's probably the most expensive item

decorations are always  something i have growing

plant pumpkins for the pies

cherries i pick and freeze or can earlier in the year

make my own bread crumbs during the weeks before from left over baked bread

nuts i buy during the year on sale

eggs i get cheaper when i buy them 5 doz at a time(lemon meringue pies, deviled eggs, eggnog, cookies,etc

salmon we catch in the river

make my own rolls and quick breads

we make our own eggnog

we make all our desserts instead of buying them

use the leftover turkey and  carcus for other meals

oredeb
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

how bout a picture of what your decorations look like?

Quoting mem82:

We have slowly built up our fall decoration so we have a pretty good look going on. We'll do some crafts to liven it up.

I start couponing and buying the meal food on sale about a month or so in advance so that really helps.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2011 at 7:12 PM

well they aren't amazing but I'll try to take a picture later tonight and post it.

Quoting oredeb:

how bout a picture of what your decorations look like?

Quoting mem82:

oredeb
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM

heres a bunch of thanksgiving recipes , frugal ones!

http://www.budget101.com/frugal/frugal-thanksgiving-day-celebrations-157/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN