Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Explode The Code? Used it?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am going to try this with my kindergartner. Anyone else tried it?

by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM
Bump! We are using all about spelling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Yes, we used books 1, 2, and 3 with Sonlight LA/Readers 1, for K,  and books 4, 5, and 6, for 1st grade, with Sonlight LA/Readers 2. The Sonlight reading program coordinates perfectly with ETC. We finished books 7 and 8 on our own last year in 2nd grade.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I've never used it. I'm interested in what people have to say about it.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I would love to know more about this!

loves2sew
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

My kindergartner is struggling with phonics. I ordered ETC and they are on the way. I will have to check in to the Sonlight program. My girls never had a problem. My little boy on the other hand, thinks I'm trying to torture him. I've read that these books are not so "boring." I hope so.  I'll let you know what I think when they get here.

LauraHolt59
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

dd struggled too, then we got her ETC online and she loved it because she could earn "prizes" for getting the answers right.

loves2sew
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM

We have now been using ETC for a few weeks. I love it. My son is actually willing to sit down and do it. I love how this program progresses. Big thumbs up from me.

oahoah
by Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM

We bought this for my 2nd son who is 4 and he liked it at first but then says it is boring. He has been learning just by sounding out regular words. I'll save it for my youngest & see if he will get any use from it! I personally liked it though.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM

We used levels 1-8. I'd never heard of it, but it was an optional workbook with Sonlight's Learn to Read program. So, we used books 1, 2, & 3 with LA1/Readers 1 and books 4, 5, & 6 with LA2/Readers 2. We did the last two books on our own. Sonlight's program has additional activities that coordinate perfectly. Their readers also follow along, so that, the readers only have words that the program has prepared the child to read.

My dd always liked doing them--never complained. They look simple, but they work!

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Are you talking about the online version or the print version.

I only have experience with the print version. We used it for a couple of years. I loved the first level,  Get Ready, Set, Go for the Code, but by the middle of book 3 in the regular series I found that the lessons confused DD and it was very often impossible to figure out what the pictures were suppose to be of (in the lessons there is usually a page with pictures and the student writes a word to match what is pictured).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)