Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Talk me down...

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM
  • 16 Replies
Since I've been preggo, I want to do nothing. We barely get any school work done, and I feel like a failure.

I'm seriously considering k12, hoping it will require less of me, as well as keep me on track.

I even have been considering private school next year for second grade because I feel like I wont give her what she needs with a newborn and 3 year old.

What do I do? We are only a quarter into this and I'm failing! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM
What makes me so upset is we were rocking it before I got pregnant! Im so mad at myself!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaHome
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't be so hard on yourself. Being pregnant is hard work. Hormones are crazy, body is changing. But thats the beauty of homeschooling. You can adjust it to fit your schedule. When you have the baby, yes it will be a challenge, but that will be the case whether she's in school or not. It just comes with having a newborn. I think just having a schedule will help you tremendously. Break it up, keep it fun. I'm sure you'll be fine.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I think this is pregnancy fatigue talking, along with, possibly, pregnancy hormones.  If K12 would make things easier for you, go for it (although I have issues with the program, and it really does require parent participation to make it really "work').  I don't know your life or lifestyle, but try thinking laterally.  For example, given the expense of K12, have you thought about asking for some help with managing the 3-year-old?  That may get you through the rest of the year, and give you some breathing room to consider how you will organize things (and give your hormones a chance to settle down).  Have you thought about moving the school room to the bedroom -- lie down while you have your child do the work (we have a small table and chairs in our bedroom and our kindergardener does his work while I do mine at my desk, but it could just as easily be me lying down and supervising).  Figure out what you MUST do (reading, math or whatever) each day and strip it down to just that.  Ask for some help from your husband or family in getting more passive (for you) teaching tools (software, videos or whatever).  Think about taking a BREAK for a week or so.  It won't destroy your child's education for you to just REST for a little while. You may find that taking that  time alone does the trick.  Finally, don't compare to what you were doing BEFORE.  Set the standard for what works NOW.  Best of luck.   

oredeb
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM

hi boobah, the only child you need to do anything with is your oldest and she already knows how to read, so what about just giving her a list of what she needs to accomplish each day

math- next 2 pages each day

read in reading book from libray- 5 pages each day

language arts- 2 pages each day

get a handwriting booklet and let her do a page or 2 a day

so that would work for now, the basics

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM
Thank you :)
unfortunately, this is week 3 of taking a break, only doing sporadic work.

Im really worried that im not doing enough, and that its not going to get better for years! Newborns are super hard on me mentally and emotionally. (this is an oopsie baby! Lol)
i have this computer program (elementary advantage) and I tried it today, having her do some math. Well, its way beyond what she knows. So I feel like I will never get her caught back up.

She excels at reading and writing, and I thought she did well in math, apparently I am wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM
My main concern is math. We are using saxon, so she needs me to be there.

Quoting oredeb:

hi boobah, the only child you need to do anything with is your oldest and she already knows how to read, so what about just giving her a list of what she needs to accomplish each day

math- next 2 pages each day

read in reading book from libray- 5 pages each day

language arts- 2 pages each day

get a handwriting booklet and let her do a page or 2 a day

so that would work for now, the basics

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM

have her sit by where you are and help her when she needs it, doesnt have to be formal, maybe chose a time when you feel better than other times and sit with her and do it

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM
I think I need to give up on saving my workbooks. Right now I have to pull pages (which I'd have to do regardless) and slip them in page protectors then she uses dry erase markers. So (yes, I'm being totally lazy) I have to erase them, empty, put them in the binder to save them, pull new ones, and slip them in.
There seems to be a lot of prep work the further we get into the book. Get this, this, and this ready, these manipulatives, make these addition fact cards, put this amount of pennies in the cup, do the calendar pattern, etc etc. So I am tired before I even start. lol damn pregnancy taking all my energy.

Quoting oredeb:

have her sit by where you are and help her when she needs it, doesnt have to be formal, maybe chose a time when you feel better than other times and sit with her and do it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM
I'm going to stop whining. Lol. I've just got to tell myself, this is her FUTURE! And I need to suck it up and do it. Regardless of how I feel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

yes boobah, its for your daughter thats right there in froont of you all day

you get to see her grow right before your eyes, you get to teach her new things, and be there when she finally understands things, you get to learn together, read together, fight together, what your going thru now will pass, but time with your daughter you cant get back again. the time goes by fast! pretty soon you'll blink and your daughter will be 18! 

use your workbooks, there will be others, yes suck it up. regardless of how you feel.

Quoting Boobah:

I'm going to stop whining. Lol. I've just got to tell myself, this is her FUTURE! And I need to suck it up and do it. Regardless of how I feel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)