Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Since I've been preggo, I want to do nothing. We barely get any school work done, and I feel like a failure.

I'm seriously considering k12, hoping it will require less of me, as well as keep me on track.

I even have been considering private school next year for second grade because I feel like I wont give her what she needs with a newborn and 3 year old.

What do I do? We are only a quarter into this and I'm failing! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Replies (11-16):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM

You could always unschool for a while! Homeschooling usually takes less time to do each day then traditional schooling so anything you think she needed to do to get up to grade level should be easy to catch her up after the baby comes & a new schedule for the family is created.

rivercharm
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I would suggest trying to break it up... Maybe an hour in the morning right after breakfast, an hour before lunch, then a nap if you are exhausted and then another hour before dinner, and reading after dinner.... Just a thought!!!

mynameismuerte
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Here is another motivator for using the workbooks instead of trying to save them: Not all kids learn the same ways and it's entirely possible the program you're using now won't work for the next one. :)

I've been getting lazy as well because we've had SO MUCH going on and I've been sick, etc.  We have this huge chalkboard hanging in our school room that we don't use.  Each morning (or night before) I write the "must do" subjects on there; Math, Spelling, Writing and follow it up with the others.  Some of the subjects are easy to do once a week at this point.  I let him pick which one of the "must do's" he wants to do first and when it's done he crosses it off.  

How organized are you? Is there a box that just has "math manipulatives" in it that she can grab and bring to you? We're using Singapore Math so it told us at the beginning which things we'd need so I just gathered them all then and stuffed them in a small container together.  I try once a week to get several days worth of things ready so I can just grab and go to make my life easier.  DS has all of his books and supplies low enough that he can grab them if I need him to.

Even if you do decide to use K12 or Private school, you're not a failure.  Not even close.

oredeb
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM

how are ;you doing today boobah?

Michelle914
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM

How about switching to one of the math work books that you can get from the dollar store?  They are so in-expensive you won't mind using them up!  Plus, they don't have all the teaching activities with manipulatives so she could just go through the pages near you while you rest and if she needs help ask you.  I know the manipulatives are great and so is your regular math book but this would just be to get you through this time.

I found when I was pregnant, everything went through stages.  My exhaustion didn't last the whole pregnancy.  So if you just do as little as possible now, you'll hopefully have more energy a little later in your pregnancy and then you can add more teaching activities back in!

Don't worry, your kids will learn!  Everyone goes at their own pace - and the teacher's pace!  I wouldn't make any big decisions about changing to a different school right now.  Give it plenty of time for you to think and not make a decision when you feel upset or worried.  You Are Not A Failure!!! The point is to make things work the best for your family and don't feel bad or let anyone else make you feel bad for doing that!

Please take it easy and I hope you have a great weekend!  Oh, and have you noticed what your daughter is doing when you are taking a day off from formal "schooling"?  I'll bet you find that a lot of what she does on her own could be considered "school".  If she reads, colors, builds something, watches a fun but educational video, sews, crafts, does any form of PE, helps out around the house, helps out with the little one, drives to the store and grocery shops - that one was just to be funny!  But all of that counts and I'm sure everyone can add lots more to the list so don't worry about down days, you'll get back to it when the time is right!

Take Care,
Michelle

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • *big hugs* I have a newborn and I am with you on this! BUT I am here to say, it can be done. In second grade they only need fifteen minutes of math a day. Remember when you were in school? Now, take out all the talking, shuffling of 30 kids, the walking up to the board, the repeating, and think about how long you were actually learning a subject. Not a lot of time. Even in high school, they only spend 20-25 minutes on it. You can do this! 8) You have 7ish months to prepare for the 3 months, you'll be out of commission before things settle down. A month ago, I was thinking the same stuff. Nikki fed constantly, and slept no more than an hour or two at a time. Now, we've crossed that bridge and she's sleeping 4 hours, sometimes 5, before wanting to eat.
  •  Can you possibly hire a tutor for a few months until you feel more in control? A homeschooled high schooler could help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN