Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

story on the today show

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM
  • 30 Replies
A ten year old girl who was bullied at school committed suicide. She asked her mom to ne homeschooled and her mom said no. She thought her daughter was fine and it would toughen her up. Seriously what is wrong with people?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
new.identity
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

What is wrong with some people is that they brush everything their children say off. Parents really need to get to know their children, any and all signs need to be followed up on. It is OUR job to protect our babies and to find the best solutions to make their upbringing as good as possible. We cannot expect school employees to care for our kids the way we do, half the time they don't even know our kids by name. Sorry for the rant, but so many beautiful children are passing away feeling neglected by those who are suppose to care for them. It's incredibly troubling.

Yuriko_chan
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:05 AM
I agree it is so very sad and troubling. They had the therapist with them on the show who said its so hard to know when your child is depressed because one min they're happy and the next sad. I'm sorry but if I actually pay attention to my child I would know if something is wrong. Luckily for me I know my children. I also get that mommy intuition. Its just so sad......

Quoting new.identity:

What is wrong with some people is that they brush everything their children say off. Parents really need to get to know their children, any and all signs need to be followed up on. It is OUR job to protect our babies and to find the best solutions to make their upbringing as good as possible. We cannot expect school employees to care for our kids the way we do, half the time they don't even know our kids by name. Sorry for the rant, but so many beautiful children are passing away feeling neglected by those who are suppose to care for them. It's incredibly troubling.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new.identity
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Exactly. And being sad one moment and happy the next is a pattern of concern. Sorry, but you know your children from day 1. I openly talk to my kids about bullying and their feelings in general. They know they can count on us (the parents) to make sure it doesn't occur again. I have noticed some moms who are too caught up in their own lives to bother with their kids and this outrages me. 

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

I agree it is so very sad and troubling. They had the therapist with them on the show who said its so hard to know when your child is depressed because one min they're happy and the next sad. I'm sorry but if I actually pay attention to my child I would know if something is wrong. Luckily for me I know my children. I also get that mommy intuition. Its just so sad......

Quoting new.identity:

Yuriko_chan
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM
Yes it bothers me too. I agree with you that if a child acts like that something is wrong. My daughter is a happy girl so when she's mellow I always ask her what's wrong. Anyway. I just find the whole story so disturbing. I hate that so many young kids think that's the only way and that they have no support.

Quoting new.identity:

Exactly. And being sad one moment and happy the next is a pattern of concern. Sorry, but you know your children from day 1. I openly talk to my kids about bullying and their feelings in general. They know they can count on us (the parents) to make sure it doesn't occur again. I have noticed some moms who are too caught up in their own lives to bother with their kids and this outrages me. 

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

Quoting new.identity:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM

so sad

mynameismuerte
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I know I've said it before but who on earth believes being bullied is going to toughen somebody up? Man this story is so heartbreaking on so many levels.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I agree with you unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that think that getting bullied is character building.

Quoting mynameismuerte:

I know I've said it before but who on earth believes being bullied is going to toughen somebody up? Man this story is so heartbreaking on so many levels.

mynameismuerte
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM

One of the reasons we HS is because my 6 year old would very likely be bullied.  He's not the kind to stand up for himself, he doesn't always realize when he's being made fun of and he has enough quirks without an obvious physical disability to make him a likely target.  People always tell us we should put him in school to toughen him up.  I usually ask something like how did that toughening up work for the numerous children whose lives have been lost in some form because of bullying.  My husband was inside of a Christian school when a kid who'd had enough of the bullying came in a shot up the place, killed a teacher before the gun jammed and he was tackled.  

It's like kids don't just innocently tease kids anymore, it's gotten so cruel and starts so young.

Quoting usmom3:

I agree with you unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that think that getting bullied is character building.

Quoting mynameismuerte:

Mojitomommy
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM
That is very sad ..
I agree parents needs to hear their kids out and learn more about them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I feel so bad for the parents because I doubt they made the decision with cruelty in mind when they kept her in school. They thought they were doing her a favor. It's so misguided but, my Lord, how their hearts must be so broken. How would you be able to forgive yourself for that?

I think a lot of people don't see bullying as a big deal if they were never bullied to the extreme when they kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)