Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Part-time homeschool

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

Has anyone ever taken some classes at the public school (science) and then homeschooled the rest? Classes like biology and chemistry, especially advanced classes, require supplies that I can't get to on my own and I don't think we have a homeschool co-op in my area.

IL state law allows for part-time enrollment, so at least that shouldn't be an issue.

SusanTheWriter

Wife, Mom, Author

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
coonsblessed
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I had no idea that could be an option. I'm considering home-schooling for my boys and I'm worried that what I don't know they won't know. :)  I need to look up MO law to see if we're able to do that here. that's for the post I never would have thought to ask that.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I have not done this with my kids, but I know of a lot of homeschoolers here that do it & the kids like it because they chose the class they wanted to take & get to leave when it is over.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I haven't. Ohio leaves that option up to the individual  school district.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I've never heard of that.  Interesting idea.  We will probably let our kids start taking college classes toward the end of high school, and there are excellent tutoring and learning labs at our community college if they do need help.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:05 AM

No, I always did everything at home but I was one that wanted to stay as FAR AWAY from the public schools as possible!!!   If there is a subject that you are worried about you can get the class on DVD.  There is almost limitless help online now days.

RealWorldSchool
by Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Hi, Susan - we tried a hybrid model like that with the local school: meaning my 8th grader took accelerated science and theater at school, we then homeschooled the rest. The science was fine, theater fine...but depending on the school, you lose the freedoms of homeschooling - meaning we had to be there every day - no more weekday trips to the beach, weeklong trips to family/friends as the school wants the child attending. 

We pulled out after 2.5 months for that and other reasons. It depends on what works for you and your family's situation. 

Tanza

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)