Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do I do?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM
  • 8 Replies
I don't know what to do or where to start with homeschooling. I'm getting internet at the house next week and I have a three year old daughter who is going to be four in a few weeks and she wasn't able to start school this year. How do you keep your patience with teaching the most basic of things to a fresh new mind? I'm scared that I wont be able to teach her the things she needs to learn to go into school next year.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SusanTheWriter
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this

She's not even 4 yet. Kindergarten isn't hard. She needs to know her colors, seasons, ABCs, how to write letters and numbers and her name. If she's ready to read, great. If she isn't, she'll get there. She's also not supposed to bite people or throw food. There. Kindergarten in a nutshell. :) And you have a whole year to teach that stuff.

Honestly, don't overthink it. You don't have to create a super-child here. Just play with her. Teach her small things when the moments present themselves, and go about your lives.

I wish I could go back to those days! High school is going to drive me round the bend!

SusanTheWriter

Wife, Mom, Author

RACERBABE02
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:19 PM
Thank you! I appreciate you being blunt and telling me straight up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Kids just soak up learning at that age. Try to look for teachable moments. When she asks 'why?' go ahead and answer, get a book on it, go to youtube right at that moment and check it out. It's amazing what they can learn if we just take a second to teach them. 8)

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

She's not even 4 yet. Kindergarten isn't hard. She needs to know her colors, seasons, ABCs, how to write letters and numbers and her name. If she's ready to read, great. If she isn't, she'll get there. She's also not supposed to bite people or throw food. There. Kindergarten in a nutshell. :) And you have a whole year to teach that stuff.

Honestly, don't overthink it. You don't have to create a super-child here. Just play with her. Teach her small things when the moments present themselves, and go about your lives.

I wish I could go back to those days! High school is going to drive me round the bend!

Awesome advice !!!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:48 PM

hope it's going well!

astgmom4life
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM

First of all... breathe! Go ahead, take a deep breath, now let it out.  Next, just play!  At that age playing is the best way to teach.  You don't need fancy curriculum or alot of money.  Teach her colors while picking out her clothes.  Teach her counting while picking up blocks.  Play dough is amazing for shaping into letters, numbers and shapes. You can even use chores and cooking together as "teachable moments"  If you want to be really ambitious, a quart of chalkboard paint on a section of her wall costs about $20 and is so much fun for practicing letters.  Don't do anything really formal at her age, she will get bored and you will get frustrated (I speek from experience)   Most importantly read to her every day, she will see it as special time with mommy, and you will soon see that she is learning all the time

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the other ladies. My 2 youngest children have learned so much just asking questions & having me help them find the answers to them. They know things that other kids their ages don't know because I don't let how old they are get in the way of me answering a question.

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Everyone who cares starts out being scared.  You will do just fine.  Be sure to hook up with other home school families in your area for support, information, co-ops, curriculum sharing, etc.  Your State Home School Association can help you with that, and legal issues.  Here is a website with links to the various State Home School Associations;

Home School Section

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN