Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A little about us...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 4:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm new to all of this. This is my first year homeschooling and we decided to do it for a number of reasons. 1) my 2nd grader has health problems and is partially deaf and I wasn't  happy with the public schools 2) my 4th grader wasn't being challenged and 3) we want God to be the center of all that we do. I started by using parts of different curriculums that I liked but it was very challenging to get 3 grades put together ( I am doing K4, 2 and 4th) while I also have a 2 year old and a 9 month old so we decided, for this year, to cyber school and add to that what we wanted to. It's going pretty well so far. there are days I want to give up but I know that it will get easier over time. My 2nd grader can be difficult at times but I think he's starting to adjust. What has your experience been like? What keeps you going?

by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 4:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM

My youngest is also the one who has the most trouble some days.  Some days it's uphill, but it's so rewarding to see them being successful!  My 15 year old had learned to work the system to the point where she could bat her eyelashes at the teacher and say she didn't understand, and they would do the dang work for her!  My eleven year old was turning into a bully...she started trying to defend her sisters who were getting picked on, and then those kids started pulling her pants down on the playground in front of everyone, and the administration just ignored it.  She was starting fights with the kids who were messing with her!  My ten year old was coming home crying every day because she is just a born target for the mean kids...she has a lot of depth perception problems because her vision is very poor, and she is very loud because of a hearing deficit.  So, she's loud and clumsy, and wears thick glasses...poor baby!  My eight year old came home to tell me a boy in her class had showed her his private places, not once, but TWICE!  She told the teacher, and was ignored.  We pulled the younger 3 out mid year, and wished we would have pulled our teenager, but tried to let her finish out the year to play sports.  

We're now in our third year, and no matter how difficult some days might be...we all know we have those days...they are so much better off!  That's one of the big things that keeps me going!  

I also signed up for AOP's Daily Focus emails, and they are a bright spot of encouragement in our day!  Let me see if I can find the link...

Daily FocusĀ® Devotional Bookhttp://www.aophomeschooling.com/free-resources.php

If you click on this link, it's under the e-news section of the page.

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Hi !!!  What keeps me going is that I want God and my husband and I to be their influences not the world. I I think we all have days where we are like where is the school to drop you off at !!! So we take a break, pray and regain our joy. Home schooling is not for the weak. We as parents take full responsibility for our children in every way.

Welcome !!
Jill

delmeg10
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I second AOP's Daily Focus emails! They are very encouraging. I make sure I read them first thing in the morning, so if I hit a rough patch during the day, I can always go back and read through it again.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I also signed up for AOP's Daily Focus emails, and they are a bright spot of encouragement in our day!  Let me see if I can find the link...

Daily FocusĀ® Devotional Bookhttp://www.aophomeschooling.com/free-resources.php

If you click on this link, it's under the e-news section of the page.

oredeb
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM

welcome pghmommyh!! congratulatins on choosing to homeschool!

what has your experience been like: well ive learned all kids are different, they all learn differently,  so i need to adjust  to what the child needs, it might be what i'm using or the way i teach the child, or health issues

what keeps you going: prayer and knowing that im doing the best for the kids, homeschooling is something that was put on my heart years ago to do and following thru with it no matter what is happening in my life, putting me last and the kids first. the lord has blessed us! letting homeschooling be a way of life for us.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Welcome!

Our experience has been great. My six year old can be a handful and we have our bad days but more often than not, it's a good time. 

We are so much happier as a family with the kids staying home, it's awesome.

pghmommyof5
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Thank you everyone:) I will deffinately check out the news letter. I could use the encouragement in the mornings:) It helps to know i'm not the only one who feels overwhelmed sometimes but I know that this is what God wants for our family and for the most part we all love it!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:46 PM

This is a great support group. 8)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM
Welcome :) this really is a great group, such caring and helpful women!
I'm homeschooling my daughter who is 6/first grade. It has definitely brought us closer, allowed us to experience so much together that we wouldn't have been able to squeeze in between school, homework, dinner and bed if she was going to public school. Her attitude has changed for the better, and she is starting to get better at talking to people (super shy!) also.

I've also learnt it is not always easy, but it is worth it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN