Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you going to make cooking Thanksgiving dinner a teachable moment?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 2:01 PM
  • 19 Replies

I always try to get at least some Math and Home Ec thrown in. lol Also, I try to teach about budgeting during the shopping trips to get the food. Great life lessons 8)

by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM

good lesson mem!!!

i wont make it a teachable time unless someone wants to learn to cook!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM

LOL It's either teach or lose my mind while they 'try' to help me.

Quoting oredeb:

good lesson mem!!!

oredeb
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM

yes!!! i dont have any here when i cook except the cat! and all she wants to do is eat and be petted! 

Quoting mem82:

LOL It's either teach or lose my mind while they 'try' to help me.

Quoting oredeb:

good lesson mem!!!

oredeb
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM

when my kids were younger it was teachable, i had them plan the menu cuz (thanksgiving was always at our house) they even went to store at got prices, found recipes, planned the decorations, everything, then we'd pick which one we would do, we usually ended up mixing them all up! the kids also got to cook the meal with me!

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Yes if the opportunity arises but I will not force them to help & learn.

Shellie1084
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Jordan (7) usually asks to help make dessert for whatever meal we are doing (Thanksgiving or other meals) I have him to read the recipe and help with the measuring and mixing. Both boys usually help put the cookies onto sheets. I think it is important for the boys to be able to follow directions. We make life a learning opportunity and most of our lessons aren't written in the plan book.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM
My girls love to help in the kitchen, and we are learning measurements right now, so Julia will help measure, Chelsey will help dump ingredients and "stir".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM

such a good question mem! i keep thinking of things i use to do with the kids for this week!hahahah

another thing we use to do for a fun writing project for this day  is i'd have the kids write a couple paragraphs on "how to cook a turkey', it was always so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its amazing what kids pick up, and think!!!!!

noraa21
by Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Mine son is going ot be making the pumpkin pies this year.   He would not carve his pumpkin for Halloween as he wante dto  make pies out of it.  My mom had him help can the pumpkin and then tomorrow she is going to let him help make the pies.  He's all excited, he did help shop a bit, but decided looking at toys would be more fun!

JulieBrown
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

My kids know how to make potatoes, black eyed pees and green beans the way we like it.  :-)  We are vegetarian and aren't eating a turkey.

I think this thanksgiving I will give them a chance to show me what they know.  :-) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN