Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do your children watch TV?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM
  • 17 Replies

Do your children watch TV? If so, how much? How old are they?

I know a lot of HS parents monitor their children's TV schedule a lot better than PS parents. I know my kids watched too much TV, prior to considering HS, so it got me to thinking about how much everyone else's children watch TV.

by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine does. As long as he is not neglectful of his school work and chores I really don't mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Mine watch TV everyday, they aren't allowed to watch shows I think they aren't mature enough for. Most of the time they chose shows that have educational properties over brainless shows.
wright1212
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM

We do. we all watch mickeymouse and such during breakfast, i often leave pbs on while schooling so toddler can watch while he is free playing. my dd chooses nickjr over other stuff from habit. she likes dora. but for her to freely watch tv she has to pay .25 which is the same she earns for chores. also if she is 'grounded' no tv. 1 show at bedtime is free and family movie night.

EaiB
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure my kids watch too much television-and yeah I homeschool. I know public school moms who are very rigid with screen time-that's not a dividing factor. We watch mostly public broadcasting children's programming with a few specialty things here and there. I don't stress over it. I also let my oldest play cpu games and the DS (okamiden and Ni Hao Kai Lan, etc...). I remember a lot of interveiws with famous artists/creators, and when asked about how they got their ideas, most often they were inspired by things from *gasp* SCREEN TIME. Media=the sharing of ideas and images. We seem to have forgotten that in this technophobic movement. I think as long as activities for active play and outside discovery is provided, media is your friend. It does take some strong-will and planning to keep them into "good" shows by age, but that's not hard. Personally-nothing like a movie break to give me the time to fix a meal or wind down with the kiddos. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM

This. 8)

Quoting usmom3:

Mine watch TV everyday, they aren't allowed to watch shows I think they aren't mature enough for. Most of the time they chose shows that have educational properties over brainless shows.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

We got rid of television in our home I guess 16 years ago or so.   We do have a Friday night family movie night.  It is a special night for us.  We eat pizza, french fries with chili and cheese and ice cream while we watch our movie.  We have done this for  6 years now :) 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Ditto that one....mine watch too much TV imo but my DH is a screen addict too so cutting them off would cause a lot of issues. I could easily live without tv. (Though I do like it too.)

Quoting mem82:

This. 8)

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM
we have netflix....and yes they do....its a lifesaver for me sometimes! they are young active boys and I moniter what they watch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
borgen0128
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I never watch TV, but my husband does. He is usually the one to put the tv on. If he is not home, the tv is not on. 

oredeb
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM

when we had a tv mine could watch some at night, we never watched in the daytime though, there was a couple shows we watched so about maybe 3 times a week at night we'd watch a show

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN