Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do your children watch TV?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your children watch TV? If so, how much? How old are they?

I know a lot of HS parents monitor their children's TV schedule a lot better than PS parents. I know my kids watched too much TV, prior to considering HS, so it got me to thinking about how much everyone else's children watch TV.

by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM
Replies (11-17):
jhg374
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM

After about 6 years of my family having television we got rid of it about 3 years ago.  I wasn't sure how much we would miss it but we really don't at all!  We were so careful and picky about what our three kiddos (now 11, 10, 7) watch that we didn't really get to utalize having t.v.

For treats as a family we will watch something on either Hulu or Netlix on our computer, but we would much rather play a board or card game together. :)

GLOWAcademy
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Heck yeah!  Our whole family watches a lot of TV.  I just monitor what she watches; not really how much.  If she gets her school work done, has physical activity time, and imaginary time then she can pretty much watch as much as she likes.  We don't see anything wrong with it.  To me it is no different than someone who does classes in front of a computer screen for 4-5 hrs per day.

GLOWAcademy
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I couldn't agree more.  Many people see technology as a bad thing when in fact it is more beneficial now than ever.  There are lots of times my daughter learns what I have been trying to teach her for 3 weeks in a cartoon that she watched for 25 minutes!

Quoting EaiB:

I'm sure my kids watch too much television-and yeah I homeschool. I know public school moms who are very rigid with screen time-that's not a dividing factor. We watch mostly public broadcasting children's programming with a few specialty things here and there. I don't stress over it. I also let my oldest play cpu games and the DS (okamiden and Ni Hao Kai Lan, etc...). I remember a lot of interveiws with famous artists/creators, and when asked about how they got their ideas, most often they were inspired by things from *gasp* SCREEN TIME. Media=the sharing of ideas and images. We seem to have forgotten that in this technophobic movement. I think as long as activities for active play and outside discovery is provided, media is your friend. It does take some strong-will and planning to keep them into "good" shows by age, but that's not hard. Personally-nothing like a movie break to give me the time to fix a meal or wind down with the kiddos. 

delmeg10
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I agree with you. My son learned his ABC's (completely) by watching Super Why on Sprout. I just feel like maybe he should be watching other things besides cartoon shows. He is only 3 1/2, but I still worry. At least I know he isn't watching Spongebob and not learning anything. He can watch cartoons like that when he gets older (maybe), but now while he wants to learn, I'd like him to watch more educational shows.

Quoting GLOWAcademy:

I couldn't agree more.  Many people see technology as a bad thing when in fact it is more beneficial now than ever.  There are lots of times my daughter learns what I have been trying to teach her for 3 weeks in a cartoon that she watched for 25 minutes!

Meagan loving wife to Delvin 5/9/07

Proud mommy to Luke 6/19/08 and Jake 9/1/10

delmeg10
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Thanks for all of the replies!

simple smile

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM
Well, we used to never have the tv on. Seriously if it was an hour a week it was a lot. Lately with the pregnancy, it's been like... 2-3 hours a day *hangs head in shame*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

ahh I really do not have a problem with them watching tv. I monitor what they watch. We watch alot of educational things, but will let them watch Disney movies and such as well. I also offer them alot of other things to do vs just watch tv.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN