Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Block Scheduling?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

Last Friday one of the K12 teachers mentioned block scheduling to me. Does anyone do this? Right now all of the other children are about 30% of the way through their schoolwork. We just started 3 weeks ago so obviously we aren't even close. We don't get to jump right in, we have to do all the work for the entire year. Yesterday we did math all day (I was testing out the block scheduling). It wasn't bad... and it was easier to focus on three children when they are all doing the same subject. Jacob is now 25% of the way done with his math... Kaeden is about 15%. I think it may be a good way to get caught up in core subjects anyways... does anyone do this long term?

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Shellie1084
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I've never tried this, you said this is your first time trying this? I'd be interested to see how it works long term.

jakesgal88
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Yes. This is my first week trying. It's a short week so I won't get to see the full effects. The kids didn't seem to mind doing math all day yesterday either. Once we get caught up I don't know if we'd have 5hrs of math or any other subject to do each day. I guess we probably would since we would be doing a whole weeks worth. Kaeden has extra subjects so I'd have to work his out differently because we couldn't just do one subject a day. The core subject would definitely require a whole day each... the extras like art and spanish may not. I'll let you know over the next month how it works out. I plan on taking until the end of Christmas break to get caught up with the rest of the kids in their classes.

Quoting Shellie1084:

I've never tried this, you said this is your first time trying this? I'd be interested to see how it works long term.

oredeb
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM

never tried it before , if it works go for it! let us know how it goes!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I hope it works for you.  Let us know how it goes.  We are eclectic so it wouldn't work for us.  The only concern I have is what happens when it is a subject they are not crazy about.  My boys love science and If they couldn't do it everyday they would be crushed.  Personally I think doing  the same thing all day long could get very boring and mundane especially for some subjects.  Are you still reading on days you are doing just Math?  Just curious.  Good luck

lucsch
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm...I'm thinking a block schedule could work; however, I could not do one subject all day. My head would hurt concentrating that long on one thing. LOL II don't think my dd would go for that either.  hope it works for you, because homeschooling is all about learning in a happy way. If that works, then do it!

We sort of do a block schedule for some subjects. We do history M-F-W and geography T-Th. We do R&S English M-W-F and PLL on T-Th. We also do a few other subjects that way. In general, though, we do the subject categories every day. Every two weeks, on a Friday,  we have a special day, where we do a composer study, art, and read a history of science book. So, we mix things up, but a bit differently than you are doing.

jakesgal88
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Yes, We do SSR for atleast 20mins each day. I think reading is the base to an education so i'm always wanting them to read. Hopefully they will learn to love it. At this point they don't understand that reading a book is just as good as watching a movie, but one day they will. I don't think the block schedule will work long-term. Yesterday we tried language arts and it's not something Jacob is crazy about and man did he get tired fast. So... It may work to help get caught up, but not long term. He sure loved math all day... and I think science and art would be okay too... just not history or english.

Quoting jen2150:

I hope it works for you.  Let us know how it goes.  We are eclectic so it wouldn't work for us.  The only concern I have is what happens when it is a subject they are not crazy about.  My boys love science and If they couldn't do it everyday they would be crushed.  Personally I think doing  the same thing all day long could get very boring and mundane especially for some subjects.  Are you still reading on days you are doing just Math?  Just curious.  Good luck

hottmommi42
by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM
I haven't used the online options yet, but we only do 'block' scheduling. We get into whatever it is we are working on, and it progresses into another concept and we just loose track of time. My kids love it. We might even spend a week on one subject because its so interesting. Idk if that's possible for the pre planned curriculum though. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)