Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you cook your turkey????

Posted by   + Show Post

i know, i know! not another turkey question!! and off topic!

but i love to see how everyone cooks their turkeys!! i like to learn new ways!

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 6:24 PM
Replies (11-13):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM

LOL Yay! Teachable moments!

I dry brine mine. I rub Kosher Salt and spices into the bird, seal it in a bag and let sit for two days. To cook it, I roast it and shove butter under the skin.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

It's pretty easy, but you need a biiiig pot! We use a 5-gallon bucket.

A brine at its most basic is just salted water. Ours is a gallon of chicken or veg stock, a cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, a handful of peppercorns and a handful of allspice berries. Bring to a boil, let cool a bit, add a gallon of cold water, then let the turkey sit in it overnight (at least 12 hours, really), completely submerged.

TEACHABLE MOMENT ALERT!!

This process is kind of like cellular diffusion.

You're taking a liquid with a high concentration of flavor and allowing it to seep into a material with very little flavor, creating equilibrium of a sort.

This way you're not depending on a relatively short cooking time for external flavors to seep into the deepest part of the meat. It gives you a flavor headstart. Not to mention, meat absorbs water - and hence, water-based flavor - more easily than oil-based flavor, which tends to stay shallow.

I love kitchen science!

Quoting TigerofMu:

I've heard about brining, but never done it.  How do you do that?

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

This year, we're trying the rotisserie.

Usually, it's brined for 24 hours, rubbed with softened butter mixed with fresh chopped herbs (sage, rosemary and thyme), stuffed with a few aromatics (apples, lemons, oranges and sprigs of herbs), then roasted breast side down to keep the white meat juicy.

oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 23, 2011 at 10:25 AM

let me know how the rotisserie goes! i want to get one for my grill and use it.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

This year, we're trying the rotisserie.

Usually, it's brined for 24 hours, rubbed with softened butter mixed with fresh chopped herbs (sage, rosemary and thyme), stuffed with a few aromatics (apples, lemons, oranges and sprigs of herbs), then roasted breast side down to keep the white meat juicy.

oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM

hahah oh yes the fried turkey, its the thing here also in oregon, every year we hear the usually stories of people putting tom much fat in and plopping the turkey in!!

Quoting LeBoof:

In this part of the world fried turkeys are common. We'll be heading to my in laws for the holiday so I won't be cooking If I were then we woulld probably be doing a honey ham or orange chicken instead. No one here actually likes turkey.lol..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)