Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM
  • 7 Replies

My name is Elizabeth. I have two children, a 3 year old (Johnny) and an 18 mth old (Ulric) Recently I have been debating on Homeschooling. I'm pretty sure it's something that we want to do. I am curious about curriculum's, what ones do you use? I'm looking for one that's non-religious. I have started teaching them stuff with out a curriculum (numbers/colors/letters/shapes...the basics) I'm just wondering when to start structuring it.  Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Letteroftheweek.com is a good free preschool curriculum. Once they get into the older grades you have tons of options! We piece together our curriculum from several different sources, because they fit my daughter best.
I loved the book the well trained mind, and it is an awesome resource regardless of what method you end up choosing. (there are several "methods" to homeschooling, most people use more than one method.). We are a mixture of the Charlotte mason method (www.simplycharlottemason.com) and the classical method.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 10:23 AM

welcome fartoofrail!

look here http://www.hslda.org/hs/default.asp for your homeschool law, it will tell you when the kids have to be taught legalwise. otherwise keep doing what your doing!! have fun with them this young, you dont need any curr.! but structure does start usually arouond 5 or 6 or 7 or when the child is ready, of course depending on how you want to homeschool!!!

debbie

mrsjones2207
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM

WELCOME!!!!

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Welcome & I hope that you find what works for your family!

Danielle163
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM

We are secular (no religion) eclectic ( I draw from many different resources to homeschool my DD) homeschoolers. I use Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School to base (as a guideline) what I teach for that year and what living books (books that target a certain subject/topic and teach while reading) I purchase. (our library is really bad so I get most of my books used from Amazon) The Well-Trained Mind (Susan Bauer Wise) is a great help for guidelines and book lists. The E.D. Hirsch Jr. books--What Your Preschooler Needs to Know are helpful for guidelines also. They go up to 6th grade.

It just depends on when you want to start being more structured. And of course, some children aren't ready for too much structure early on. You will know what works best for your kids the longer you hs.

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM

We use to have the best education in the world.  People came from all over the world to be educated here. One of the things that we did right was not to push the kids so hard.  Today the public schools expect a K student to be able to comprehend, spell and write even before they are reading adequately.

It is important to not fall into the trap of trying to duplicate the mistakes made in the public school system.  By that I mean allow your children's interests to guide you.  Usually a three year old is ready to teach, colors, The ABC's,  beginning Sequencing ... But the important thing is to nurture a child's natural desire to learn...the school system kills it.

I would not recommend curriculum until around age 5.  For now what they need does not requires teaching, but no curriculum.  You might begin curriculum around the age of 5, but make sure it matches your child's learning style.

hottmommi42
by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 3:03 AM
I completely agree! My sister didn't even start using a curriculum until the kids were in high school, and that was only to satisfy the hs graduation portfolio. Her kids chose to do hs equivalent not the ged, but our state is really strict on the laws. Check out what your state says, see if there are homeschool support groups local, and pick the brains of those before you! Have fun!

Quoting romacox:

We use to have the best education in the world.  People came from all over the world to be educated here. One of the things that we did right was not to push the kids so hard.  Today the public schools expect a K student to be able to comprehend, spell and write even before they are reading adequately.

It is important to not fall into the trap of trying to duplicate the mistakes made in the public school system.  By that I mean allow your children's interests to guide you.  Usually a three year old is ready to teach, colors, The ABC's,  beginning Sequencing ... But the important thing is to nurture a child's natural desire to learn...the school system kills it.

I would not recommend curriculum until around age 5.  For now what they need does not requires teaching, but no curriculum.  You might begin curriculum around the age of 5, but make sure it matches your child's learning style.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN