Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids keep journals?

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

do your kids keep journals?

do they write in them everyday?

do you correct them?

do you give them a title to write about or they just write what they want in them?

by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

My oldest one dose.

He tries to.

No I don't even read it really.

I have suggested that he write what he did that day but he can write what ever he wants.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Not really, but every year I swear I'm going to start them doing them.

gingergarcia
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Yes my oldest has journals, and sometimes I give her a particular subject and sometimes she chooses her own.  We usually go over them together to check for wrong spellings or any other minor mistakes. We try to write in them every other day between the other subjects.

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Yes, they do. I let them generally write about whatever they want to write about. I ask them if they would like to spell things perfectly, and then I will help them if they need it. The reason I am not a big stickler on spelling in their journals is because I want to encourage them to use lots of detail and not to be held back by the lack of knowing how to spell the word.

They sometimes ask me for journal ideas if they can't think of something. Recently, they have enjoyed using old calendar pictures as inspirations.

I do reinforce things that they should be doing fine like capitalizatin, punctuation, etc., and they have to correct those things.

fygfitness_mom
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM
Yes, they've kept one every year since pre-school. Obviously the journal has changed a lot over the years. This year they have actually switched to blogging and video journaling. My oldest uses cartooning as a means for journaling too. I don't correct anything in their journals. I use them as a means of showing me where they are and what they are retaining as far as grammar and overall language skills. Also, I've found that it's better if I just let their imaginations take them wherever. Though there are weeks we do themes and that's fun too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM
I really want her to, but she has a hard time thinking of what to write. She is a bit of a perfectionist, so she gets upset if she can't plan out and spell everything herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shellie1084
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM

They keep journals off and on. Sometimes I give them a "starter" but usually they just write what they want. I don't correct them, I love looking at my journal from elementary school and want to give the boys that same joy. Plus it is a great way to see how far they have come!

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 11:13 PM

http://writingfix.com/traits_primary.htm#forkids

Scroll down to the bottom to find the "games." This site might be a fun way for some of those who don't know what to write about to generate some ideas. If you make your kids do it for a while, they will see how much fun it is to go back and read what they wrote and see how much they have improved. Then, they just might enjoy it more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)