Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

am I the only one ?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM
  • 17 Replies

That seems to keep haivng to change the way we do school ? I have had to change methods several times. I am starting to wonder if I can even pull this off. Any suggestions or advice?

I started off too simple, my 5yo was very bored and just did not want to do it, so I added stuff then it was too hard. Now I just feel lost and like I am failing.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM
Every week our schedule changes, I do something different, just to try and get my dd interested and doing something. My husband will not let me buy anything new, so we have to use what we have until tax time. My dd is helping setting up most of her sixth grade curriculum.

If it is too easy, have him teach you for a bit. If it is too hard, back up and try a little less. Eventually there might be a middle ground, but letting the child lead sometimes helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM

i have found that it is a learning process for us all not just our children.

((hugs))

sew4fun
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Thank you ladies !!!!!

oredeb
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:45 PM

what are you using kenderly? the first 3 years are the hardest! i changed things a lot in my first 3 years! i still do a bit of changing!hahah

sew4fun
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Deb I am using a ton of things ( I think that could be part of MY problem) I have no printer ink and Jo my 5yo will not do worksheets that I hand write ( but loves worksheets) So I have several books that I get worksheets out of ( mainly $1 store books) I will get a list of everything I do and post it , maybe that will help get me help LOL

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I wanted my kids to learn things they cared about & wanted to know & with out having to fight with them to do it. So I converted to unschooling & they learn all the time but it is what they want to learn not what I think they need to know. Along the way they learn the things they need to know as a default of living & learning.

gingergarcia
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I tend to switch it up in some subjects just to keep them interesting. We as parents are also never to old to learn and enjoy new things as well!

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

It all gets easier as time passes, but understanding your child's learning style (and your teaching style), and the various methods used by home educators help.  The following article provides this information, and more:

How To Home School

Different Learning Styles

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 11:08 AM

First, for a 5 yr old make all her learning fun through play.  Color, read to her, do puzzles, play educational type games, ect..  I promise, that is all she needs!  But as far as your question, yes, my first few years saw many changes in curriculum.  After about 8 or 9 years I found what I liked and with what subjects and have pretty well stayed with that schedule. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM
We have been homeschooling for 5 years now and I just found things that work for DS2. It's been a lot of rrial and error.

Cover the basics and fill in the gaps as you figure out what works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN