Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

That seems to keep haivng to change the way we do school ? I have had to change methods several times. I am starting to wonder if I can even pull this off. Any suggestions or advice?

I started off too simple, my 5yo was very bored and just did not want to do it, so I added stuff then it was too hard. Now I just feel lost and like I am failing.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Replies (11-17):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM

What kind of schooling do you do? Do you feel more comfortable with a school at home approach or do you lean a different way? I ask so I can frame my answer correctly. 8)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:12 PM
We change the way we homeschool constantly, but with the same materials mostly. We have changed art and music, but kept pretty much everything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shellie1084
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Our "schedule" changes meaning we don't do things in the same order daily, but other than that we stay pretty routine. We use a curriculum from ABEKA and I really like it, we do take some things out and put different things in though, that part is just trial and error. I have no problem throwing things out that don't work though.

Keep trying and remember why you decided to homeschool in the first place. Make 1 goal  and reward yourself and your child when you meet your goal. (Example of goal: being able to write numbers 1-10)

Gumberly
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:36 PM
I have changed our phonics program 3 times (sticking with the current one for sure) science twice, and once for math,geography, and handwriting.
While I am always hopeful that each one will be the keeper,if something isn't working then it has to go.
sew4fun
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I am not sure what you mean . we have a dedicated room where we do most of our work. Then we also do some things in the kitchen . I honestly do not think I am doing this right LOL! We do alot of worksheets , reading and crafts that is about it . That is part of the reason I feel as if I am failing my girls. I am having a hard time getting creative ( wich is very unusal for me) with schooling and we do not have funds to spend on anything at the moment so I have to do everything free and am without a printer.

Quoting mem82:

What kind of schooling do you do? Do you feel more comfortable with a school at home approach or do you lean a different way? I ask so I can frame my answer correctly. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I was asking how you days go? Are you doing school ALL day or just for an hour or two?

One of the things I found helpful with Cole, my 6yo, who has very limited concentration and a very high bored factor, is combining several subjects. We read an easy reader science or social studies book (from the library), sounding out the words, choosing a few to write down, and then we watch a you tube video on the same subjects. So in one lesson, they can learn about a science/s.study subject, practice writing, and sometimes we'll throw a craft or 'lab' on top and call it good. For a younger child, they don't need much more. Maybe take a break, then play an educational game, break, then maybe practice a language or sight words.

Quoting sew4fun:

I am not sure what you mean . we have a dedicated room where we do most of our work. Then we also do some things in the kitchen . I honestly do not think I am doing this right LOL! We do alot of worksheets , reading and crafts that is about it . That is part of the reason I feel as if I am failing my girls. I am having a hard time getting creative ( wich is very unusal for me) with schooling and we do not have funds to spend on anything at the moment so I have to do everything free and am without a printer.

Quoting mem82:

sew4fun
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Oh LOL sorry . We shoot for 3-4 hours a day 4 days a week

Quoting mem82:

I was asking how you days go? Are you doing school ALL day or just for an hour or two?

One of the things I found helpful with Cole, my 6yo, who has very limited concentration and a very high bored factor, is combining several subjects. We read an easy reader science or social studies book (from the library), sounding out the words, choosing a few to write down, and then we watch a you tube video on the same subjects. So in one lesson, they can learn about a science/s.study subject, practice writing, and sometimes we'll throw a craft or 'lab' on top and call it good. For a younger child, they don't need much more. Maybe take a break, then play an educational game, break, then maybe practice a language or sight words.

Quoting sew4fun:

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)