Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's a good starting point for............

Posted by   + Show Post

History and science?  I have a 10 y.o. DS who is in 5th grade and I can not find a good starting point for history and science.  I was thinking maybe American history first, but not sure what to do.  

Science I don't know if there is a specific place I should start or just go with what he likes which is just wanting to do all kinds of experiments, chemistry in the fact that he thinks it's cool when you can blow up something, and he wants to make a engine so he can make his "Johnny 5" lego robot move that he built.   

Gevie

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:52 AM
Replies (11-16):
noraa21
by Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Wow thanks ladies, we have just been taking it easy for the most part since this is our first year and he had just did 5 years in PS, not counting all the special ed classes when he was younger, so we have just been sort of de-schooling right now.  I want to really jump into things after the new years starts so going to check out some of these things.  Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM

If you are not wedded to doing American history first, you might try "Story of the World" through Peace Hill Press.  They have workbooks, suggested activities, etc. as well.  Christian-oriented, but not obviously so (they are part of the classical education movement -- think C.S. Lewis).   We're Jewish and have no problem with it.  What I like about the books is that they cover world history, after a certain point the kids can read the material themselves, and the sections are not so long that you get bogged down.  You do have to supplement (literature from the period and so on), but that's true of any history program.  To make it really interesting you need to read outside materials, preferably contemporaneous accounts ....   

noraa21
by Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Quoting JKronrod:

If you are not wedded to doing American history first, you might try "Story of the World" through Peace Hill Press.  They have workbooks, suggested activities, etc. as well.  Christian-oriented, but not obviously so (they are part of the classical education movement -- think C.S. Lewis).   We're Jewish and have no problem with it.  What I like about the books is that they cover world history, after a certain point the kids can read the material themselves, and the sections are not so long that you get bogged down.  You do have to supplement (literature from the period and so on), but that's true of any history program.  To make it really interesting you need to read outside materials, preferably contemporaneous accounts ....   

Thak you, we are christians so that would be fine with us to use something like that, I will check it out.

swim-mom72
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Quoting JKronrod:

We love Story of the World : ) It is part of Sonlight's curriculum for ancient history. And I agree with JKronrod, that supplementing is the key, and that is why I went with Sonlight, it has literature and reference books to add to the history reading from Story of the World. But you do not have to buy Sonlight, you can just get their catalogue and piece together what books you want to by searching e-bay and amazon or even the library.

tsblessed
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I use Apologia Science for all grades and Mystery of History. But I think like someone else said either ask them what they want to learn about or start at a certain time period or topic and go from there. I don't know how long you have been homeschooling but if you are new to it why don't you start somewhere your interested in. It would help you make it more exciting and fun for him. But hands down I love Apologia for science. I am a believer is creation so that curriculum is definitely fitting for what I want my children to learn about our world and God's Word.

noraa21
by Member on Nov. 30, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Quoting tsblessed:

I use Apologia Science for all grades and Mystery of History. But I think like someone else said either ask them what they want to learn about or start at a certain time period or topic and go from there. I don't know how long you have been homeschooling but if you are new to it why don't you start somewhere your interested in. It would help you make it more exciting and fun for him. But hands down I love Apologia for science. I am a believer is creation so that curriculum is definitely fitting for what I want my children to learn about our world and God's Word.

this is our first eyar homeschooling, so I am still learning a lot myself about what I should and should not teach.  He has to do state testing for reading and math so those he has to do, the rest we are just sort of doing or not doing right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN