Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to the group and have a question

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:55 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am new to the group and have some questions.  My son starts Kinder in 2012 and I was thinking of homeschooling him.  I am not liking the way public school is going, it seems to get worse and worse.

How are you kids dealing with homeschool, do they have friends, are they on sechdule with class work or ahead of sechdule.  

So many questions.

I am Jamie, I have 2 boys my oldest will be 5 in Jan., my youngest turned 3 in Oct. and I am due Feb. 3rd 2012, sex still unknown. 

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
moonhorse
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 6:08 AM
I would go by your state standards in what you teach. Go to the HLDSA website and check up your state laws on homeschooling. I would say the important things to work on in K would be Reading, Math, and English/Writing. Science and Social Studies could be once a week (vary the days like one week do Science, next week do Social Studies, repeat like that). Social Skills would be another thing to work on obviously. You could do cooking and incorporate reading, math, science into that as well as health and nutrition.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Hi! Welcome to our group. 8)

Homeschooling Kinder is just an extension of things you are probably already doing. Counting, ABCs, a few site words, community helpers like police, firemen etc... Kinder year in public school is more of a training year. Your child isn't learning educational things soSo much as learning how to move in the group. How to stay quiet, get in a line, be away from Mommy, things like that. (My oldest was in public for a few years) 

My kids are very socialized. We do free classes at the park, a few paid ones, and a gym class. If I wanted, they could be hanging with other kids everyday of the week. LOL

Good luck on your decision. 8)

oredeb
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM

hi jamie!! welcome!!! good choice to homeschool!!

my kids had friends, we did sports(baseball, gymnastics,) our homeschool group offered come neat classes taught by the moms and dads, our church has other kids,

my kids loved being homeschooled, they've never went to any other type of school just home.

each child learns at their own pace if you let them, learns much better than being forced like in the public schools, so when you homeschool you make up your own schedule or not! your child will have a better learning opportunity with one on one teaching/learning.

debbie

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Welcome! I agree with the other moms! My kids have friends & they get to see them off & on throughout the month. Making & keeping friends as homeschoolers is a lot like making & keeping friends as adults you have to work at it because everyone is so busy but it can be done.

Danielle163
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Welcome, Jamie! I think that the # of activities you have available to you depends on you location. There is (usually) always the boy scouts, earth scouts, spiral scouts, 4H (for the younger ages its called Clover Sprouts here....IDK if that includes K, but I'm sure it includes grades 1,2, & 3). Of course, if you live where your from or know people, then you can do park dates, possibly you have co-ops available in your area.Some areas have Tai kwando, karate classes, soccer and hockey teams, etc. If your a member of a church, possibly you will find some activities there ( Awanna). If you live near a bigger city/suburb or IN  a big city, the choices are pretty much endless. Some states even allow you to dual-enroll your children for P.E., art, music, etc.

You might want to go to your local library and check some books out to read up on homeschooling.

Home Learning Year by Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School (Rebecca Rupp-she homeschooled her three sons for more than 10 years). Gives excellent guidelines on what you should be teaching/what grade, book titles, tips, etc

The Well-Trained Mind--Susan Wise Bauer--Excellent resource for a classical education..great book lists and guidelines for what grades.

There are dozens of books of homeschooling. Yes, you will want to check out your state laws pertaining to hs. You can go to the hslda site or punch in ________ Department of Education (inserting your state and then go on to the homeschooling part.  The compulsory age is usually 6 or 7, so you might not even need to do anything right now....just check your state laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN