Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The I'm looking forward to public school rant...

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

Really and truly, I wonder how limited-resource families homeschool successfully. It seems to work out really well for upper-middle class households and above. The rest of us have some serious hurdles.

I'm struggling to find events/experiences for my child who is in preschool hs. I'm struggling with having enough time in the day to do everything and her school work with her. I'm struggling with finding enough time to fully plan a day's lesson (yes, some things are free. But you have to pick and pull through everything, which takes a great deal of time, to get a working thing in order for the next day!) We can't afford the pricey curriculums in which everything is planned out for us. I tried buying one for about 100.00 dollars and it has been a severe disappointment.I'd love to have a K-12 or Connections available at no cost, but that won't start here until 3rd grade.

There are so few events around us and places for my kids to explore that it is quite sad. It takes a great deal of legwork to find them. And the ones I do find often cost us quite a bit, but we try to do it anyway.

And then there is the guilt about doing this w/o having enough resources in place. I can't tell you how much fun that is.

I'm kind of looking forward to public school. I want my kids to learn at home and still do interesting things here. But I really want someone else to be in charge of my child's education, and for us as parents to be the supporters of that-only really taking charge of the fun things that interest the kids enough that they'd like to pursue them at home. That way there is no guilt about not offering a well-rounded education, or enough socialization time.

surrender

Old goths don't die. They just wear less make-up. chopped head

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM

*hugs* sounds like you are experiencing some burn out. I'll make some suggestions, as they come to me. Just remember, everyone feels this way, sometimes. Honestly, we don't have extra money, either. 8(

1. try joining a yahoo!group in your area. It'll let you know of all the cheap, free classes that go on and given privately, just known to homeschoolers.

2. Take advantage of homeschooler discounts.  Zoos, museums, science centers, theaters, all offer school discounts that they will  give to homeschoolers.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

3. Many metro parks have homeschool programs or classes for the 6 and under crowd

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM

You can offer a class to the homeschool community if you live in a state that doesn't have strict rules about that. If you live in a state that doesn't allow that, you could just offer play dates at your house or host them at a centrally located park once a week!

Shellie1084
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Are there any other homeschoolers near you? Sharing ideas is one of my sanity keepers.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I see you have two preschoolers. I would combine their lessons.  That will make it  easy to get curriculums for BOTH to use. Homeschooling can be done REALLY inexpensively.

For Pre-K got a comprehensive Preschool workbook that really was AWESOME at costco for about $15 and I paid $20 a year for The Costco workbook had everything we needed for the basics. You would need two books for your kids but still that's $30 for math and reading. Science and history we used www.enchantedlearning.com printables. It was only the cost of paper and ink amd supplemented with library books and did simple experiments at home.

I bought manipulatices that ALL the kids can use... flashcards, fake money, counting bears and a BUNCH of other "school" items at the 99c store.  I dont think I even spent $20 and we are well stocked on hands on stuff.

Once they hit 1st- plus... we like workbooks. The ones I buy last about 6 months each for anywhere from $8-15. I use the Rainbow Resource catalog and order from ...Spectrum, Steck-Vaughn, Focus on Science, Maps, Globes & Graphs.

For Science we use Science in a Nutshell and supplement with books on the topic from the library. These are for Grades 3-6,     Science in a nutshell boxes are a little expensive- $40 but it includes everything (well except some basic everyone has around the house items) for 12 experiments and enough workbooks for 3 students per kit. I use them for my two kids and then a friend buys them from me for $10 and uses them with her 1 Ds that has Autism. He LOVES Science.

We get some free unit studies online and do those mixed in with everything else to keep it interesting.

EaiB
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:34 PM

There was a local group, but they have disappeared. I have a family member who homeschools, but she is kind of far from me, too. I've tried to dig up other groups in nearby towns and have had no luck, though I know they exist...at least I'm pretty sure they do...sightings of homeschooling things are about as rare as sightings of unicorns around here.

EaiB
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Thank you for the lead on science type stuff.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM

LOL Sorry about my post jumping around.. not sure what I did.

We paid $20 a year for enchantedlearning .com They have printables for all the major holidays, TONS of science stuff (Mostly animal related but still a lot), and TONS of writing and english lessons. I used them a lot when the kids were little and I used them a lot for my Cub Scout nad girl scout badges- they had things that tied into what we were learning.

blackeyeliner
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:03 AM

I can afford a pricey curriculum for my kiddos but I am not going to do that. It is not reasonable when I can build my own curriculum for a cheaper price. I buy many of my books through amazon used, curriculum sales, and borrow from the library.

I also buy for coming years which is a big help. My kids are 3, 7, and almost 10. But I already have pieces of their high school curriculum purchased. I know that I will be needing these soon enough. I got a six book set for Marine Biology at a curriculum sale for $2 ! Then I went to Savers and found another book to go with it for $0.59. 

I just recently bought bought the Explore & Learn set from Southwestern Company for $2 at Savers. It starts at $30 on Amazon and is even more expensive through the company. I also find tons of things online that are completely free. Field trips are almost always free through my homeschooling group or my library with their free passes. I will cut costs anywhere I can. I need to save for their college education after all. 

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 6:05 AM
2 moms liked this

My mother was and still is incredibly poor.  Three of her children are homeschool graduates, and two are still learning.  When I was young before the internet became mainstream she created her own curriculum using cheap workbooks or used textbooks.  Now that she has the internet she pretty much bases her entire curriculum around free things she finds online.  The cost of homeschooling is only the cost of her internet service and gas to get the kids out and about.  She lives in a very rural location so they have to drive everywhere.

Also if you're just working with preschoolers you really need very little actual 'school' work.  A trip to the park can be a science lesson, and reading is just going through books with them teaching them letters and colors and shapes and numbers.  My son is only two so not officially school aged yet, but he is learning all these things by playing Zoodles on the computer, reading with mommy and daddy, etc...  We're into less structured more life centered learning, but even if you want a specific plan it can be done on a budget for sure. :D

I also agree with the lady who suggested the dollar store for learning tools.  They often have tons of stuff you can use there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)