Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unschooling on "The Today Show"!!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

video on unschooling on the 'today show'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkc0gGz8VP8

dont know how to put the video on

what do you all think???? was this a good representation of unschooling?

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 28, 2011 at 6:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the family was great, but the experts kept bringing up the BS excuses as to why everyone can't or shouldn't do it.

Matt said that unschooling would go over about as well as unbathing in his house! OK, anyone that is forced to sit & take in information for most of their waking hours are not going to jump at the chance to learn more things in there "free" time. They are going to chose to veg. out to give their minds a rest ( it has been proven that our minds need down time to process all that we learn on a daily basses). If he would let his kids sit around & do what ever they wanted for as long as they wanted after a few days (or maybe weeks it all depends on the kids) They would get board, being board is a good thing for unschoolers, because that is when the questioning & curiosity & the investigation of anything takes shape & happens.

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Matt Lauder he can't think outside the box.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 28, 2011 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

This is SO TRUE.  I've been doing... less than I should lately.  ;)  And Julia has been asking questions like crazy.  It has been fun.  We've talked about waste water treatment plants, where water comes from, how some people have city water (and where that comes from) and some people have well water (straight from the ground). 

She is constantly saying "let's learn about...."  and I love it.  I think she would do well with unschooling, the problem is me.  If I'm not planned out and ready, I don't do much.  So she may ask about something, and I'll give a half butt answer.  I'm getting much better at that, but I feel like I'd be doing her an injustice right now.  Maybe next year we'll try it partially if my energy isn't wiped out from baby.  LOL

Quoting usmom3:

I think the family was great, but the experts kept bringing up the BS excuses as to why everyone can't or shouldn't do it.

Matt said that unschooling would go over about as well as unbathing in his house! OK, anyone that is forced to sit & take in information for most of their waking hours are not going to jump at the chance to learn more things in there "free" time. They are going to chose to veg. out to give their minds a rest ( it has been proven that our minds need down time to process all that we learn on a daily basses). If he would let his kids sit around & do what ever they wanted for as long as they wanted after a few days (or maybe weeks it all depends on the kids) They would get board, being board is a good thing for unschoolers, because that is when the questioning & curiosity & the investigation of anything takes shape & happens.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I liked how she wouldn't let him make it a negative, no matter how hard he tried.  And the whole "how will we judge them according to the other kids their age".  Why do we need judge them? 

bugfree
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

This was from an episode a month and a half ago. 

The family is probably the coolest example of homeschoolers!!  I just love how articulate the oldest daughter is.  :-)

EaiB
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I think unschooling is neat for people who can make it work...I really have to reign in my "tiger-mother" (is that a term, yet?) instincts to even do eclectic though. Idk, culturally for us it would be near impossible.

I don't remember vegging out after school. That is when I did the things I loved. Games, art, writing. I wrote my first novel while still in highschool, I'm not publishing it b/c it is $%^&, but just saying, we do find a way-any way-to do what we love. Whether or not we should have to wait to do it until after a school is pretty debate, though.

wright1212
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Several thoughts after viewing..

• RIGHT it truly is not for ever family or child, my DD likes her partial unschool, my asd son will never unschool-he would never choose to learn..
  • woohoo no testing
  • I believe kids should learn how to do some paper/pencil work and some sort of assessments. Almost all careers are going to require college and to get it and do good that is a skill you must have.
  • They neglected the answer on you must be wealthy. Well if 1 parent is already staying home and teaching, why cant they travel? It is possible to travel with only cost of gas if you are creative enough.
jessradtke
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM

This was probably my favorite unschooling interview so far. They seemed to actually be trying to illustrate some of the things unschooling families DO instead of focusing on everything they don't do. Even the "expert" they chose wasn't too bad. Matt was annoying, but Dr. Silverman actually answered his questions in a reasonable manner.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

That was a decent showing of the philosophy. I like that they didn't find the oddest, laziest set of unschooling parents out there to make funof. Just like I hate when the go find the most right wing, bible thumping, conspiracy theorist or the most left wing, hippie pothead and hold them up as the average homeschooler. LOL The family was pretty normalish.

Cafe Kate
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for sharing this! I found it really interesting. I feel like many times unschooling or homeschooling families are featured it's more 'this is so strange, who are these people?' but this seemed much more informative and just looking at what the family is doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)