Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a tween....ugh

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

He is driving me crazy with his mood swings. One minute he's happy and willing to do the work and the next he hates me because I tell him to write neater. OMG!!! Can I beat him with a LIFEPAC?

How do you guys who have tweens deal with all the fun new hormones raging through their bodies turning them into mini premenstrual women? lol

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I hate to tell you, it doesn't get better with them as teens! I have one that is 18 & his moods swing more then my PMS ones do sometimes.

Danielle163
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I have a 8 3/4 year old DD that suffers from depression.....I feel your pain.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I am write there with you. My 10 year old DD started her period last month and the moods are going to kill us all. Oy!

oredeb
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM

hahahah, well i certainly didnt let my son or daughters get away with it! they had to tow the line even if they didnt want to, of course dad helped get the atitude in line also! either with spankings , talks, weed pulling, digging holes, cleaning the garage etc!, theres no reason moms have to take that kind of atitude from the kids!

Quoting Diggems0312:

He is driving me crazy with his mood swings. One minute he's happy and willing to do the work and the next he hates me because I tell him to write neater. OMG!!! Can I beat him with a LIFEPAC?

How do you guys who have tweens deal with all the fun new hormones raging through their bodies turning them into mini premenstrual women? lol

Bellandpaysmom
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My thirteen year old son is driving me crazy.  He is the same way one minute loves me to death and willing to do his work the next hates everyone and everything.  Hopefully this is just another phase that will sooner than later get better.  We just started homeschooling in Sept.  He has recently told me that he has learned more in the short time I have been teaching him than he ever learned in school so maybe that will make you feel a little better about your decision to home school.  I know it made me feel a lot better.  Good luck!! If you have a break through please share.  I can use all the help I can get.

Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I have an almost 12 year old and an almost 10 year old, both boys. My oldest son drives me NUTS!! He has always been sensitive, but his emotions are just off the charts now!! He is a sweet kid still overall, but he has his moments that make me want to choke him with my bare hands. He has always been a skiinny kid, and he's still thin, but he's starting to fill out, and he's got hair under his arms. ARRRRGGHHH!!! I'm not ready for this. I'm seriously considering moving out and not coming back for about 10 years.

Bellandpaysmom
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I know exactly what you mean.  They think now that they are finely growing and getting hair that they should rule the world.  My son was 62lbs for the last probably four years until he reached 13 years old.  Now he is finally almost 100 lbs and tall as me.  This really gave him a confidence boost, at first I was grateful now I just want to strangle him and bring him back down to the real world.  

DrJChappell
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Ours hasn't been that bad. The only problem is keeping him off the darn computer. He would occupy it all day and into the night if we'd let him. And the nintendo DS thingy.

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:30 AM

My first teen was difficult...I made my mistakes with my first.  By the time the second child reached her teens, I learned: I thoroughly enjoyed the teen years from there on out.

It is like a dance.  I learned when to step back, and when not to.  I learned not to sweat the small stuff. If they have to take the hared rode sometimes, let them. I developed a framework of rules that left them much room for their own creativity even if mistakes.( examples: They could not attend a party unless I first talked to the parents, and made sure it would be supervised.  )

I also learned that they have to prove to you and themselves that they are "their own person".  So sometimes they will take an opposite view from yours even if they don't really believe it.  If their hair, or cloths look odd, simply say to others" Its her idea not mine." This seems to give them the satisfaction that they are different from you, and they are less likely to go for the more important things that will cause permanent damage.  

P.S. A very wise lady who raised 8 children once told me: "Oh Honey, once they learn responsibility, dependability, reliability...all those wonderful things you are teaching them, they don't need you anymore...they leave home." :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN