Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Another one of those thought provoking questions!!

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM
  • 25 Replies

i got this one over on the thl form for hsers so i thought i'd see what you all have to say about it!

A teacher asked a homeschool mom this question.

Question: All of our schoosl are held responsible (public and private) of showing our students learning and progress thru their academic years. Why aren't homeschoolers held to that same standard?

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NathansmomEmmie
by Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 7:27 PM

well in some states they are.  In MO we have to keep documentation of what we do so we have it if we are ever asked.  also, just because a kid goes to "real" school doesnt mean they will learn any better-in some cases the kids with learning disabilities or just plain laziness slip through the cracks and dont learn anything even if their records show they did fine and graduated.  I used to work at Arby's with a bunch of teens and I was very surprised that none of them could add simple addition in their head and many of them couldnt pronounce words that hadnt read before.  I know that not all schools are like that, but just like public or private school, we the parents have to be teaching correctly.  Also, I would be more than happy to show documentation-especially if I got funding like the schools do =). 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:08 PM

In Ohio, we have to prove improvement every year. I believe everyone should have to do it.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Their argument is based on a fallacy IMHO. First of all, what type of responsibility are they referring to. If they mean legally bu the state, then they would be wrong. In most states, the state does not regulate private schools when it comes to education. In most states the amount of "responsibility" places upon homeschoolers is not only great than that of private school but also of public schools.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Quoting mem82:

In Ohio, we have to prove improvement every year. I believe everyone should have to do it.

No thank you. I have no intentions of living in a nanny state. The states need to worry about students enrolled in state schools and keep their noses out of homeschooling and private schools.

Lynette
by Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

tax dollars are not paying for our children's education.  Aside from that studies have proven that homeschoolers have better academic standards even w/out close supervision.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. My childrens education is my business only.

Each parent is responsible for their childs education....that comes with the job description. Some choose to hand it over to the state...the public school system and some choose to hand it over to someone else...like a private school....but when it comes down to it, it os each parents decision on how their children are educated. If they choose to do it themselves then they arethe ones to observe their progress.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting mem82:

No thank you. I have no intentions of living in a nanny state. The states need to worry about students enrolled in state schools and keep their noses out of homeschooling and private schools.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM
I'm with mem, including being in Ohio :)

Quoting mem82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Their argument is based on a fallacy IMHO. First of all, what type of responsibility are they referring to. If they mean legally bu the state, then they would be wrong. In most states, the state does not regulate private schools when it comes to education. In most states the amount of "responsibility" places upon homeschoolers is not only great than that of private school but also of public schools.

I agree with you, in my state (Texas) homeschools are considered privet schools & nether of them are regulated by the state or anyother agency.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I agree!

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Lynette:

tax dollars are not paying for our children's education.  Aside from that studies have proven that homeschoolers have better academic standards even w/out close supervision.

I agree! The public schools are being payed by the public tax dollars to educate the children! So they should be held accountable if the children are not getting educated! They are providing a service (just like a plumber) & should be expected to do an amazing job, just like you would expect that plumber to do! KWIM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)