Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another one of those thought provoking questions!!

Posted by   + Show Post

i got this one over on the thl form for hsers so i thought i'd see what you all have to say about it!

A teacher asked a homeschool mom this question.

Question: All of our schoosl are held responsible (public and private) of showing our students learning and progress thru their academic years. Why aren't homeschoolers held to that same standard?

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM
Replies (21-25):
romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Here is an article from a teacher in the Washington Post explaining how she is not allowed to do what she knows is best for her students because the system wants a "one size fits all approach."

Teacher; " Maybe It Is Time For Me To Go"

I do not think we want the politicians to do to home schooling as they have done to public schools.

oredeb
by debbie on Dec. 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM

wow such a sad post, feel bad for the teacher who wants to do whats right but they wont let them

Quoting romacox:

Here is an article from a teacher in the Washington Post explaining how she is not allowed to do what she knows is best for her students because the system wants a "one size fits all approach."

Teacher; " Maybe It Is Time For Me To Go"

I do not think we want the politicians to do to home schooling as they have done to public schools.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I used to work in a teacher supply store. The teachers hated all the tests and things that were being forced on them.

aroling
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM
In IA you are.
noraa21
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Quoting romacox:

Most teachers feel that the testing they are required to give is an inadequate way to measure a child. Ask the teacher how she likes being measured with the government's standardized  tests, and does she think it is a good measure of her and her students? 

Thinking On Home Schooling? Teachers Are. 

When schools were run by parents, teachers and local communities, we had the best education in the world.   The more involved the government became, the more it became a one size fits all institution, and the worse our education became.

Years ago most test questions were not multiple choice encouraging analytical thinking.  However today it is mostly multiple choice which literally kills analytical thinking. 

I tutor this child (in video below) in his home, and he is a gifted analytical thinker.  Notice in this video he has an unusual answer when I ask him about making tea, but after questioning him I discovered his answer was not wrong.  Had it been a multiple choice answer with him having to choose my answer, it would have led him to believe his was wrong...thus squashing his natural analytical thinking.  I do not like multiple choice which is what government tests are mostly about. They do more harm than good.

To find out what the children are being taught (and not being taught) in government mandated curriculum see this article. New World Order And School Text Books

Home School families do a better job educating their children because they are not controlled by some distant government agency who views their child as a statistic rather than a human being. ...keep government out of the home because parents not only do a better job, they care more.   

That sounds a lot like my DS, he comes up with some of the weirdest answers and even tho he is right, he was always told he was wrong because he would not just say 2+2=4, he would say things like 5-3=2 and then I added another 2 to it and then got 4.  This is anoher reason we are homeschooling this year along with not having to deal with bullies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)