Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your education influence your decision to homeschool?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM
  • 12 Replies
Did your education influence your decision to homeschool?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Not really. I hated the BS from Admin, teachers and students that went on and so I think that predisposed me to not want to deal with it with my kids.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Absolutely. I had a horrible time in school, especially math. I was pushed through but never got the basics so I struggled a lot.

DH was home-schooled and didn't have any of those problems. I wish I had been able to have his education, so instead we are giving it to our children.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Yes it was one of the reasons I was so open to the idea of homeschooling. I hated school (not learning I love to learn)& only put my oldest in PS to begin with because of his Autism. Looking back now I feel as though I hurt him by doing that & should have homeschooled all along.

mynameismuerte
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I went to PS but was in what one might call a track system.  That means I was shielded from the way things really operate in a typical PS setting, lol.  I had NO CLUE how "the other half" operated until my first week of High school when they screwed up my schedule and put me in the "regular" classes.  That was the longest week of my life.  Okay, not really but it was definitely eye-opening to me.  If THAT is what my children have to look forward to in PS, I want NO PART of it.

Even though I did have that experience, homeschooling wasn't something we started discussing until our first child was closer to 3.  With his special needs at the time, we knew a traditional school setting was going to be detrimental rather than beneficial.

Danielle163
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM

No--My daughter was removed because of the bullying....but here where we live..its a very old drug town so I'm glad that she won't be in the ps system  because they are still churning  out modern-day chemists......just not the kind that go on to college........

hottmommi42
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 10:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope. We actually have really good schools here. I just cared more about instilling our morals and values and I couldn't do that in two hours a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liansmommie
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 2:36 AM

No I loved school. Our decision to home school our son stemmed directly from his experiences in a public school. His teacher was amazing and should be sainted. However admin politics, stupid regulations and NCLB made for a toxic environment for a child like my son. He is doing wonderful in this current situation. Now, based on his expeiences I wish I could have been homeschoooled as does DH. With our drive to learn and the way we approached school, we could have done miraculous things with the potential that this progam has.

placidic
by Member on Dec. 1, 2011 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I felt let by the Lord to homeschool, so I thought I would be disobeying if I didn't.  I am very happy to have my child home with me and know exactly what she is learning or not learning. :)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

yes, it did.  Public school destroyed my love of learning.  I never hated school but I wasn't as interested as I could have been.  I didn't get it back till I went to high school and went to a private boarding school.  My teachers enthusiasm was so contagious.  I wanted that for my kids from the very beginning.  I was also 14 when I started to read for the sheer enjoyment of it.

oredeb
by debbie on Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

i liked school and learning, i didnt like the bullies, so yes i guess my education did influence my decision to homeschool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)