Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

this might be goodbye :-(

Posted by   + Show Post
We have had to move in with my sil, who was a homeschooler. One of the conditions of us moving in with them was that we had to send our kids to public school. It really pisses me off that she would do that. We are living in a garage that was turned into an apartment. We are not allowed into their side of the house without permission. But they don't want the kids home all day. I think my mil got to her. My mil doesn't think our kids are learning anything. Anyway its a really small town and the school is small so I decided that if my kids have to go I will volunteer and go with them!!! I got really mad yesterday because we were on our way to her house ( a 7 hour drive) and we got a call from her. She was enrolling them herself!!! I may have a legal out though because they need physicals and dental checkups and their insurance is from another state. So it might not be able to get done!! Oh how sad :-( lol. My kids are upset because I broke the bad news to them that they still won't get Christmas break. We don't do any breaks. I have a hard enough time getting them to do their school work. So hopefully I won't have to. We won't be here long anyway. Just enough time for me to get a house rented. Hopefully no more than a couple months.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:00 AM
Replies (11-15):
nzumbrun
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM
My mil is toxic!!! She is convinced that my kids are going to be stupid!!! The reason (the reason she gave me anyway) my sil wants me to put my kids in school is because her dh works 2 jobs and when he comes home he needs to sleep. They bounce back and fourth with homeschooling. They aren't dedicated. I think she is done homeschooling. All of her kids are in school now. I am still not sure the school will let them in. If they don't I will take my kids to the library every day. It's not open a lot so I will probably have to sit in our van with my kids until it opens. I am praying that they won't let them in. I am still so upset. I'm trying to control my emotions. I dont want my kids to know how upset I am. I want them to do well. I will be volunteering at the school so I will know what's going on. That makes me feel better.
beluvdwife
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Seriously, I don't even know what to say!  That is just crazy talk!!!!  How can she enroll them herself??  You are their mother!  She sounds CRAZY!!!  Do what you got to do to get out as fast as possible!!!!

nzumbrun
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM
Quoting beluvdwife:

Seriously, I don't even know what to say!  That is just crazy talk!!!!  How can she enroll them herself??  You are their mother!  She sounds CRAZY!!!  Do what you got to do to get out as fast as possible!!!!

My dh family is all crazy!! When I took the kids in today everyone talked to her!! And I was standing there. I'm really pissed right now. We are moving a fast as possible!!! It is a small school so I'm not too worried about bullying. But there are so many things I'm worried about!! Anyway as soon as we move I'm pulling them out and homeschooling!! And everyone can kiss my ass!!! I need donations to get out of here!!!! Lol jk.
Kerseygeek
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM
3 moms liked this
She has no legal right to do anything with your kids including enrolling them in school. If they were talking to her over me I would have interuptted them & told them to talk to me. Hope you get out soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harream
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I'm so sorry you have to go through this :-(

Your SIL has absolutely no right enrolling YOUR kids in school! If you are living in a garage converted apartment and not going to be in their house then I don't believe she can tell you you can't home school! I understand he hubby needing sleep between jobs but she has taken this WAY to far. Praying you find a house quickly so you can continue to do what you feel is right for your kids.

Oh and I know about MIL not thinking home schooling is proper school. My step-dad's mom always told my mom us 3 kids needed to be in school for a number of reasons but her top one was that we didn't get enough interaction with other kids. We were in programs through our church (which wasn't catholic and grandma is) and we did a few things with the home school group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)