Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what have i done!!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM
  • 6 Replies
Ok, I just put my son in a public school about a month ago. My dh and I are really going through a very rough patch both with us (yelling matches daily, he called the cops on me telling them I was beating our kids when I wasn't etc) and I honestly felt like my ds deserved to get out of the chaos for a few hours a day. So I put him in a school that goes year round because I don't feel like kids should stop learning just because its June. They go 6 weeks then have two weeks off. And, it is required that I am in the classroom once a week.
So, my son asked me if he could stay there through all the grades! He loves it. He is thriving. I am thriving. This has been such a blessing. I am still play-schooling my dd who is almost 4 but reads.
What do I do? I can't be open about this with my local hs group because I am afraid that they will kick me out and they are the only grown up interaction that I get. Now its looking like I have to go back to work and its nearly impossible to hs when youre not home.
I don't know what to do here! Advice? Input? Support? Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hm, this is tough. Why are you homeschooling in the first place? Write that list out and see if it still supersedes how well the two of you are doing in this school. Brick and Mortar school isn't the devil, it's just one of our choices. If this works, for you, then go for it.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM

You have to do what is best for you and your family.  That is, to me, the whole idea behind homeschooling.  If you're still teaching your daughter, it really is no one's business if you have decided that public school is best right now for your son.  I would hope that most people in the homeschooling group would understand that.  Be open about it -- you made a decision that, for now, the public school was best for your son, but that you are still homeschooling your daughter.  If they object, are they really folks that you want to be hanging around with?   

hottmommi42
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:51 PM
I hadn't thought about this view. They are your typical hard core homeschool families. No online, no co-op, and do not support either of those. I don't want that prejudice rubbing off on my kids. That's one reason that homeschooling is so close to my heart. I can introduce different points of view in a safe environment. I will chew on this for a bit.

Quoting JKronrod:

You have to do what is best for you and your family.  That is, to me, the whole idea behind homeschooling.  If you're still teaching your daughter, it really is no one's business if you have decided that public school is best right now for your son.  I would hope that most people in the homeschooling group would understand that.  Be open about it -- you made a decision that, for now, the public school was best for your son, but that you are still homeschooling your daughter.  If they object, are they really folks that you want to be hanging around with?   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beluvdwife
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Maybe some of the time could be spent reading books, working out on your marriage.  I know this is tough, but if you and your husband are having such severe problems, then you are right - homeschooling isn't good for your ds, too.  Created To Be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl has changed my life!  You should get it! 

I am praying for you!  I hope this works out! You can message me if you want.

hottmommi42
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Thank you so much! I am reading sacred marriage by gary thomas right now, so I'll put this one down next. I know that all this is just stuff we should have taken care of a long time ago, but wow, I had no idea. There also isnt much text on womens perspective, and good advise from a biblical point of view. I have read Love and Respect, and the 5 love languages, but none really hit on how to HELP him without being a nag. Thank you for your prayers, and your support. I will be sure to let everyone know what happens in the future. 

Quoting beluvdwife:

Maybe some of the time could be spent reading books, working out on your marriage.  I know this is tough, but if you and your husband are having such severe problems, then you are right - homeschooling isn't good for your ds, too.  Created To Be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl has changed my life!  You should get it! 

I am praying for you!  I hope this works out! You can message me if you want.

oredeb
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

hottmommi, if i was you i'd pray about it, with your dh also

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)