Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How long does you school day last?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you take breaks or just get it all done at once?

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM
Replies (11-18):
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:51 PM

DD is 8th grade so her days are getting longer than they used to be. An average day now is about 4-5 hrs but some days it takes 6-7 because she is writing an essay or watching a documentary etc.

oredeb
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM

about 2-4 hours a day for the 5 kids

Kerseygeek
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM
DD (K) takes about an hour & DS (2nd) takes most of the day with about 1.5hr break around lunch. It's not continuous work everyday but he's a lot like what Shellie said, gets up, drops pencil, "thinks". We use a program but I modify it as needed & our days are never the same. DS gets distracted easily & I have a 2yo also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM

As unschoolers I find that we do things all day long, there is no real stopping or starting time.

Diggems0312
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM
Alot of our time depends on his attitude. If he's being cooperative we can be done in 2-3 hrs. Sometimes it takes much longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Missie will be in sixth grade next year and I do feel the need to buckle down with her and give her more work

placidic
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM

About 1.5 - 2 hours of seatwork.  I don't know about the rest - computer, reading, science experiments and crafts.  I don't count that time.

bettyjeanmarino
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 10:26 AM
We aren't school-at-home sort of folks, so little to none! I would say an hour a day of actual "mommy is making me do this" and not an hour each day. Mondays are excluded, we all do community service the entire day. Field trip days, sick days, etc. are all excluded from the plan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)