Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How important is coloring??

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

I guess this is a silly question, but in our little world, it's a VERY important one! LOL

My son hates to color. I mean, really, really hates it! To the point of crying/whining/putting off doing schoolwork dragging one paper out for hours. Is this REALLY all that important? He likes to draw sometimes, and we work on writing constantly, so what does it help with that I need to know about? How much is a necessity? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just need to understand how much we NEED to do, and what exactly it helps with in their development? Thanks so much in advance!!!

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never pushed it.  If they don't want to color they don't have to.  There is other ways to teach colors and encourage fine motor skills.  My oldest son used to hate coloring when he was younger, now though he really enjoys drawing and even coloring in star wars coloring bks.  I never push worksheets that make him color.  I feel for the most part that the reason schools do worksheets that have coloring is for busy work.  And so they have more time to answer individual questions while the rest of the kids are coloring. I have personally always preferred free style coloring/drawing to stay in the lines pictures.  Encourages more creativity!

NathansmomEmmie
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 3:53 AM

My 5 yr old isnt a fan either because hes a perfectionist and takes like an hour to color a pic.  So now I dont make him or I say lets see how fast we can color this page and then he enjoys it better,  I wouldnt worry about it,  Maybe get him some water colors-maybe hed like that,

wright1212
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM

This is kinda 2part things. 1 being learning goals, 2 being point of coloring.

1. Children need to do things to practice fine motor skills. They can do this by doodling, drawing, writing, playdough, string beads-just anything that uses hands, fingers, hand/eye coordination. Children need to learn colors, easily done 100 different ways.

2. If you are referring to coloring a color sheet or worksheet, there is no point. Most teachers of young children are now taught that worksheets are bad. They are strongly discouraged from using them at all,ever.

Just wanted to give an example too. I use to train preschool teachers. Most older ones were taught worksheets are great. In the beginning of 1 session I gave out one on assimilation. They color and put away. At the end of class I asked them for the definition. They had no clue, the worksheet taught them nothing. On the flipside, my DD loves them so I leave color book for her to color and occasionally find one on a topic we are studying.

Mommy to Corbin (9-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (2), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

oredeb
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this

i had some kids that didnt color and they  grew up fine!! they are good productive adults with homes and spouses!hahhaha so coloring for us wasnt a problem!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM

My oldest liked to color as a little kid (age 3-5). My little 2 didn't like it at those ages but love to draw & color in their own drawings.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I've never pushed coloring. My DD loved it, my son tolerated it. LOL! Both can write just fine, although my DD's handwriting is much prettier than my DS's.

utkallie
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I don't think it's a big deal if he doesn't color. It's just not his thing!

bettyjeanmarino
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM
My kid hates it too! She would get so mad when a page came up that said to color something. Once it was a world map. Color the oceans blue, the land green. I hear, "mom, do I have to do this?!" and I say,"yeah! Well....no, I guess not! Take your blue marker and put a x over the label (the oceans and continents were labeled) for the water then scribble green on the land". PROBLEM
SOLVED!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM

My DS6 hates to color but loves to draw.I figure it's the same difference.

luvthesoap
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:17 PM

My son hated coloring too. AS long as he's writing & drawing, I think that would be good enough for him to work  on his fine  motor skills.

Betty in Ky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)