Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How important is coloring??

Posted by   + Show Post

I guess this is a silly question, but in our little world, it's a VERY important one! LOL

My son hates to color. I mean, really, really hates it! To the point of crying/whining/putting off doing schoolwork dragging one paper out for hours. Is this REALLY all that important? He likes to draw sometimes, and we work on writing constantly, so what does it help with that I need to know about? How much is a necessity? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just need to understand how much we NEED to do, and what exactly it helps with in their development? Thanks so much in advance!!!

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Replies (11-13):
Gumberly
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM
My DS who is 6 hates to color but lately has been drawing like crazy. I don't force him to color if he doesn't want to. Lately he has been doing some coloring sheets that go with our reading but it's voluntary I never say its a have to.
We have crayons, coloring books, and lots of paper so if he or his brother or sister want to color they can I just don't try to control it at all.
ummcarter
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I HATED HATED HATED coloring when I was a kid. It seemed pointless, I was no good at it and my hands would always get tired before it was finished anyway. I have weak hands, I was adopted to I did know why until i got letters from my biological mother in adulthood and see my son's skills as well. Its a genetic thing. We just don't bother with it. If he wants to he can but he doesn't genrally want to. I try to encourage him to use diferent colors when he is drawing some thing but he would usually rather paint. Don't worry. You know how when he was a baby you worried about something then as he got older you realised you didn't need to? I am finding homeschool is a lot like that. Of course you need to make sure he learns certain things like how to read but the exact when on when he learns to isn't so important.

Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM

My boys have never liked coloring or anything to do with arts and crafts. I quit worrying about it a long time ago. I think they will grow up to be productive citizens without being artistic. I'm not artistic at all. They are more gifted in music so they concentrate more on that than art.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN