Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so define types of hs?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:13 AM
  • 12 Replies

I dont know how to answer the question what type of HS are you. I never tried to fit a certain type. So again to try to define myself to make others happy, and my own curiosity..help me define these.

• Satellite program .
  • Charlotte Mason Method 
  • Unschooling Eclectic 
  • Conventional/Structured 
  • Online Charter/Public - this would be K12 or likewise, right?
  • Traditional
  • Umbrella-does this change the style?
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM

well when i first started there was only one type of homeschooler, a homeschooler,   so i still belieive there is only one type of homeschooler! we just all do it differently under that name!

isnt satellite program, umbrella, and online charter all the same????

traditional and conventional/structured would be like they do it in the public schools?

charlotte mason would be using her method of teaching, living books, narrations etc

unschooling eclectic, hmmmm how can you be eclectic if you unschool? hahaha

maybe someone will give us good answers and correct mine!!!!

wright1212
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM

the other part that confuses me, someone may ask why type you are...but isnt it what the children are? cant your children be doing different styles? With 1 in special ed that alone makes mine different. So hmmm? We dont have a curriculum, or umbrella, or anything. I create everything myself using lessonpathways for suggestions and a giant workbook from walmart for followthrough. I do all hands on lessons deciding where she needs to go in reading and math myself, then follow her lead on science and social things. My son I measure his development and work on life skills he needs. I dont think of it as unschooling since we sit, work, plan, I make them do what I think they need to do, but use their interest to inspire the teaching. Does that make any since what-so-ever??

Camey82
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I have one that schools at home with a public charter school (K12). I have one that I traditionally homeschool which means I purchased a curriculum (Calvert) and I teach with that. For my preschooler I tried to pull lessons and materials from online and the library on the basic skills for preschoolers, but she's not really a "lesson" kinda learner.

Recently, I've kind of let her do whatever she wants to do and use it as a teaching moment. If she wants to play with clay, we make shapes, letters, whatever and use that as phonics/math. If she just wants to run around then I just let her and encourage different movements "Can you hop like a frog? What does a frog say?". I don't know if that's "unschooling" or what. I think it may be along those lines, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Those are the only methods I've used so they're the only ones I can define, short of googling, and I'm think first hand use would best suit your search for understanding.

Baby Number FIVE!

pregnancy week by week

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I just say we are Eclectic. We use a curriculum but we also do a lot of life learning too, we are also non-religious.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Personally I think for most homeschoolers, the definition will differ from the next, but the answers going to be the same, they're a homeschooler why break it down further unless you really want to for others.

We home school through an accredited charter school, but it's through their homeschool program where I teach my kids the way I want using the curriculum I choose which for some classes I sometimes will only do project's and things I print up so no curriculum I may follow a unit theme often.  Anyways for the school we're in I'm required to meet a certified teacher once a month to hand over samples of what we've done and as long as I meet or exceed the children's grade level nobody really cares how I got there, I am required to do state testing also.

Now most charter schools even in my own area but especially outside my area require the child to attend a place where your child is taught in a classroom with a group of their peers by a teacher 2-3 days in a week and the rest of the week the parents teach using what their charter school requires.  So even the definition of charter school can differ greatly.  If people ask, I just say we homeschool, those who know us know what we do and that's what counts.  When I was a child I was homeschooled in the traditional sense of no accredited school there to monitor or assist, so I was traditionally homeschooled, but again my cousins who were also traditionally homeschooled had a totally different experience and it was done in a different way; still we were all homeschoolers.

Danielle163
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

We are secular structured eclectic homeschoolers.

oredeb
by debbie on Dec. 6, 2011 at 10:19 AM

yes it makes sense! thats why how i hs is considered ecelectic(sp)!!!

Quoting wright1212:

the other part that confuses me, someone may ask why type you are...but isnt it what the children are? cant your children be doing different styles? With 1 in special ed that alone makes mine different. So hmmm? We dont have a curriculum, or umbrella, or anything. I create everything myself using lessonpathways for suggestions and a giant workbook from walmart for followthrough. I do all hands on lessons deciding where she needs to go in reading and math myself, then follow her lead on science and social things. My son I measure his development and work on life skills he needs. I dont think of it as unschooling since we sit, work, plan, I make them do what I think they need to do, but use their interest to inspire the teaching. Does that make any since what-so-ever??

bettyjeanmarino
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 10:20 AM
From my blog entitled "Who is a Homeschooler?":
http://bettyjeanmarino.blogspot.com/2011/05/who-is-homeschooler.html?m=1
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Dec. 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM

its weird, but it seems like theres catagories inside of catergories!!

i homeschool, i eclectic homeschool, im a christian elcetic hsers, im a christian elcetic charlotte mason homeschooler, im a elcetic christian charlotte mason secular hands on traditional homeschoooler!!!hahahahahahaha to many types!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Quoting bettyjeanmarino:

From my blog entitled "Who is a Homeschooler?":
http://bettyjeanmarino.blogspot.com/2011/05/who-is-homeschooler.html?m=1

That was a good break down!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)